We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving clothes for the locals

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
reviews: 3
Leaving clothes for the locals

We are going on a four night safari to the Masai Mara in three weeks but will be staying one night in the Nairobi Serena when we arrive.

We are flying to the Mara and have found out we are only allowed 15kg luggage each including our hand luggage. I have loads of things I have collected to take but will obviously be limited this time as to how much I can take because of the weight restrictions.

I just wondered whether it would be okay to leave new and nearly new clothes and gifts for children for the staff at the hotel, as well as a cash tip obviously, as this way I could offload a few kg before we did our flight to the Mara. The Nairobi Serena looks very posh we have only ever stayed in tents and lodges before and never actually in Nairobi. I just wasn't sure whether this would be appropriate as I wouldn't want to offend anyone. If not I'll just have to save all the things I can't carry for the next time we visit.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: Leaving clothes for the locals

Just because the lodge/camps are "posh" I can assure you the staff are still on the bones of their azz, they will love to recieve anything that is suitable for the families. .leave as much as you can but please do not leave the underwear ......unless you have a couple of packets of new childrens pants ...

take all your older clothes ..I always say this but mno one knows it is old or aged . .then leave it ....

wear as much as you can even wrapping your fleece around your waist. .!!!!

Thank you so much for this thought ... you will need to leave a written consent form otherwise the staff will be accused of pilfering ....

Scotland
reviews: 3
2. Re: Leaving clothes for the locals

Thanks for the reply Drakesdrum. I knew that just because the hotel was posh the staff wouldn't have much, but I just wasn't sure if it would be acceptable to do this but now that you've said it's okay I'll be taking as much as I can! I will also leave a note as usual just to keep everything above board.

I was also trying to think of ways to wear as many clothes as possible on the Safari Link flight. I've even been weighing all our clothes and footwear so that we have the heaviest one's on for the flight. Every extra gram we can wear counts!! Without hopefully offending anyone this is the one time I wish it was you and your luggage that got weighed as I only weigh 7 and a half stone and I'll be thinking of all the extra kilos of stuff I could have brought.

Thanks again Drakesdrum I feel much happier now that I can take a lot more of the things I've collected.

3. Re: Leaving clothes for the locals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 11, 2009