We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveller's Checks

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
reviews: 4
Traveller's Checks

I'm doing a tour starting in Nairobi where I need a local payment of close to $1000 USD at the start of the trip. It must be in USD and it can't be prepaid. Before this I will be in Uganda for a month. I'm a little worried about carrying around that much money with me.

If I get it in traveller's checks, will I be able to use them to get USD or just local currency when I change them?

Romford, United...
reviews: 33
1. Re: Traveller's Checks

i would think you can only change them in kenya for ksh

Philadelphia
reviews: 30
2. Re: Traveller's Checks

i am having the same issue as you but was TOLD that there is an American Express office in Nairobi that can issue, cash and (i would imagine) process credit or other kind of cash advances in US Dollars. hope that is helpful and if i learn any more i will make another post!!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: Traveller's Checks

I have just phoned our Bank Manager here in Kenya. he has had a lot of Forex experience. He says you can bring USD Travellers Cheques and then endorse them to the tour company when you arrive. He says that is the best idea.

4. Re: Traveller's Checks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, October 18, 2009