We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in September in Kena & Tanzania

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Mosquitoes in September in Kena & Tanzania

Will be doing a safari in September in lodges and permanent tented camps. Have just had yellow fever jab and will take malaria tablets. Should we invest in one of those silly hats with a net in them that falls over your face or is this going over the top. Any suggestions would be appreciated from anybody familiar with that time period. AnnieT

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
14,069 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Mosquitoes in September in Kena & Tanzania

Hi,

I can't say I've ever seen anybody wearing one of those. Just get a high %age DEET spray, and wear long trousers and long sleeves from dusk onwards

nyc
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
2. Re: Mosquitoes in September in Kena & Tanzania

ROFL reading your query re those netted hats. I should have had one when visiting at Alice Springs some years back... so many flies. The Ozzie wave, flitting them away from the face.

However, you will not need this particular attire in East Africa. A hat is good to protect from the Equatorial sun, and SPF during daytime hours. During mossie biting time, apply a repellent with Deet of 30%, nothing higher is necessary.

Sept is the dry season (though there can be occasional rain), so fewer mossies and only between dusk to dawn, when you should be wearing long pants, sleeves, socks.

3. Re: Mosquitoes in September in Kena & Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 09, 2009