We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midlands
reviews: 1
Nairobi airport

I'm looking for flights from Nairobi (Jomo Kenyatta) back to London. I arrive early afternoon. From my searches so far it looks like I have a choice between waiting at the airport until 23.00h or spending 6+ hours in Dubai or Doha. I'd welcome any feedback on the facilities and security at Nairobi, since that flight would be direct.

london
reviews: 70
1. Re: Nairobi airport

Hi there

Nairobi airport is truly awful , the air-con is terrible , the facilities even worse and gates with seating don't open until pretty near the departure time.

I would recommend that you do not spend six hours there. Not sure where you are coming from or what your budget is or if you already have a multi-entry vis for Kenya.

If you ar not too jet lagged you could get a taxi to a largeish hotel , have lunch /supper , relax by the pool in the sun or whatever. We have spent several afternoons by the pool in the Serena , which was lovely.

Another option is to get a taxi to take you to the Nairobi National Park for a few hours or to the Giraffe Centre and then onto a restuarant for supper. But, if you are coming from an amazing wildlife destination this may not be too exciting.

The Nairobi National Park is lovely , saw black rhino and lion on a flying visit there.

Nairobi has some really really nice parts , thankfully the Nairobbery years are in the past, so there's no reason to spend your time there in the airport.

Finally check with the passport officers when you arrive that you do not need a Kenyan visa. They are the most friendly charming people and give a wonderful first impression and really will help you if they can.

Hope this helps

nyc
2. Re: Nairobi airport

Agree with above poster.

Consider Dubai (DXB), airport is new, colorful, lots of shops, eateries, those sleep loungers for a nap. The Emirates planes are beautiful. Not a hint of blue in the interior... rather soft colors as fuschia, lime, pale yellow... so refreshing. Food was excellent, even in coach. Great entertainment offered w/ individual screens. Even the electronics equipment box under the seat is narrow so you have room for your legs/feet. Flight departs about 4:4pm. Go for it!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 45
3. Re: Nairobi airport

Hi,

Don't know whether seatd are available on the day you fly or what they cost, but there is a Kenya Airways flight at 20:00. KA are good.

Otherwise Personally I'd rather do something in Nairobi than go the Emirates route. Nothing against Emirates, I'm in their frequent flyer scheme, but the Nairobi Dubai leg is going to be 5:30 - 6 hours the Dubai - London leg is going to be around & - 7:30 hours. As oposed to about 9 to 9:30 for the whole trip direct. Emirates are building a dedicated terminal at Dubai so all their planes land a 25 min bus trip from the terminal at the moment. Whilst the airport is new it doesn't suit all tastes. it is unusual in that all the shops, cafes, hotels, etc are on the ground floor of one long 'corridor'. The gates and wait areas are on the first floor with some cafes, restaurants and a couple of bars. Your first impression on walking in is that you've walked straight into duty free. My friends above must have been lucky if they managed to get a lounger, evrytime I've been though the place has been packed, with most of the floor space covered in sleeping bodies. I resort to the bar but at £5 a pint its not a cheap option

Dartford, United...
reviews: 26
4. Re: Nairobi airport

I have always booked a direct flight to/from Nairobi as I hate hanging around for connecting flights. Every time I have passed through Dubai it has been manic, hoards of people and, as was said, bodies all over the floor. Sure, the duty free shops are plentiful but not to while-away 6 hours. I found Doha more spacious and not as crowded, still with a few shops. However, Nairobi airport would be even worse to spend any amount of time, quite depressing even for a short period.

I have a 6 hour+ connection through Nairobi from Mombasa on my return in September. Unless I can persuade one of my Kenyan friends to meet us I'll be getting a taxi to a nearby hotel to spend those few hours in comfort.

Midlands
reviews: 1
5. Re: Nairobi airport

Thanks to you all for the advice. I will have returned from a safari, a night in a hotel and catching a direct morning flight looks the best option, especially as I'll be travelling alone.

6. Re: Nairobi airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 07, 2009