We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop-over: Wishing to visit Nairobi National Park

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Africa
reviews: 15
Stop-over: Wishing to visit Nairobi National Park

Hi all,

I have a 8-hour transit stop over in Nairobi on Tuesday, arrive shortly after 7am and depart just before 4pm. I only have handluggage, so no waiting for checked luggage.

I'd really like to avoid sitting at the airport all that time.

How reasonable is it, considering prices, logistics and trafficjams, to visit the Nairobi National Park?

What can I expect to pay, and what are my options? Is it feasble given the time I have? Should i use an organised safari company or a local taxi?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm from RSA so well familiar with game reserves, the prime viewing times (notusually midday) etc etc..so don't need advice on that. This is more a question on logistics,costs and option - anything would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cheers

nyc
1. Re: Stop-over: Wishing to visit Nairobi National Park

For your 4pm departure you have to be back at the airport by 2pm.

Keeping that in mind, most sites don't open before 9am... Nairobi Natl Prk, Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe Center, 11am visit Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage (finished by 12N), time for quick lunch. Each site has a small entry free from a few hundred Kenya shillings to, I believe, $40 for the National Park.

Leaving the airport during rush hour it can take you a short 45/min (unlikely) or long 2/hrs to get to your first stop for opening, i.e., Nairobi NP.

Deplaning, you have to purchase a Transit Visa $20, suggest you withdraw from ATM some local currency to cover your fees, then go out and find a taxi (negotiate the fare for 4/hrs) for driver to take you to these sites, wait for you and return you to airport by 2pm.

I'm sure others will have additional input. Hope this helps

South Africa
2. Re: Stop-over: Wishing to visit Nairobi National Park

Thanks for the suggestions this far.

I don't need a visa, and only have hand luggage, so in and out of the airport should be fairly painless.

I've also heard that traffic might be less of an issue for the Park (the only one I'm interested in - as opposed to the other suggestions) as it's located away from the city (?) and you don't need to traverse it.

I might be able to get my onward boarding pass early in the morning already - flying with SAA and they should be jacked up.

Also wonder how "safe" it is just taking a taxi outside - would probably prefer something more formal from inside, even a tour operator.

Looking forward to hearing more.

London
3. Re: Stop-over: Wishing to visit Nairobi National Park

I personally wouldn't recommend taxi's but everyone got his/her opinion..sandy is right..some bit of excursions is good-city tour and a visit to K/blixen museum can do.

Kenya
4. Re: Stop-over: Wishing to visit Nairobi National Park

Hi Vundla

hope this helps, You really seem set on going to the park and am sure with good planning, you can make it.I wouldnt really recommend a taxi for the park.. a tour company would be better and you will get better service. The entrance fee to the park is 40$ and the ride to the park and back to the airport will be about 100$.There are no other charges..

you can easily beat traffic in the morning by using shorter routes that avoid the city centre direction. the journey back should be smooth as there is no traffic at around 1-2pm headed to the airport.Am sure you can make it. All the best and hope you enjoy yourself!

South Africa
5. Re: Stop-over: Wishing to visit Nairobi National Park

Thanks everyone for the kind advice, really greatly appreciated. One of my conference colleagues here in Kigali has a friend who's a tour guide..so the arrangement is that I will be picked upand we head to the Park. Thanks also for the specific info on traffic, esp. coming back.

Thanks again

Cheers

Vundla (not my real name...just a forum name...but this means "rabbit" in the Xhosa language :-)

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
6. Re: Stop-over: Wishing to visit Nairobi National Park

There's an entrance on the east side of the park which you should be able to use. This isn't far from the airport and you wouldn't have to go into the city. Only thing is I don't believe you can buy a smart card at this entrance but if you're using a tour operator, they should be able to get one in advance. I think you have plenty of time.

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
7. Re: Stop-over: Wishing to visit Nairobi National Park

Here's a map of NNP that shows it's location in relation to NBO and the city center www.webkenya.com/eng/safari/gif_map.php…

I believe smart cards are only available at the main entrance where the KWS HQs are so if you don't come with a preloaded one, you'll need to use the main entrance.

8. Re: Stop-over: Wishing to visit Nairobi National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, October 02, 2009