We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safaris or other tours from Nairobi in September

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Forfar, United...
reviews: 106
Safaris or other tours from Nairobi in September

As I posted in another thread, Emirates is having a sale from Glasgow to Nairobi in September and would appreciate any ideas for holidays - safari, of course, but other ideas as well. We don't like mass tourism or big hotels and are on a bit of a budget. As I am only just now looking into this - a Kenyan holiday, I am open to any ideas, which would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance. PS: sale ends - must be booked by the 23rd, so fast ideas needed please.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 43
1. Re: Safaris or other tours from Nairobi in September

Honestly, budget + September = problem.

It's the highest of high seasons because of the visitors attracted to the Masai Mara reserve and the Masai land around the reserve itself. Most every camp out that way is already booked and paid for. I just sent payment today for a couple, and their trip is running about $550 per day per person. Though, that does include a couple of pricey camps and some private guides. And 4 air flights.

Working against you is the inability to just drive out and do it yourself to cut down costs. As a first-timer, you would be in an impossible situation in the Mara. One place not far from Nairobi where you can drive yourself would be Lake Nakuru. Not so costly - in fact, you can stay outside the park if you choose to and just come in each day. Having said that, you still are a lot better off being with a guide/driver in his vehicle, but that would be a minimum of about 100GBP per day, before you even start paying for lodging and for park fees.

London
2. Re: Safaris or other tours from Nairobi in September

Masai Mara would be fantastic and some of the camps are much cheaper than others. You could fly from Nairobi, or go by 4x4 (6 hour drive - very bumpy roads!) We stayed at Olare in July which was absolutely brilliant and good on a budget (relatively speaking as it was not yet the high season) - but a couple of days in Mara at this time of year would probably far eclipse a few days in any other park! We went with Glorious Safaris by road from Nairobi (not sure that I recommend that bit!) then flew on to Mombasa for a beach holiday at the Voyager. Ask them for ideas, they are very good and very professional and have a good website www.glorioussafaris.com - we have used them 2ce now and will continue to use them next time!

By the way - if going on to mombasa and flying back from nairobi - leave at LEAST 3 hours to transfer flights at Nairobi airport as the internal and international terminals are a long way apart, long wait for luggage and long waits for security checks as we found to our cost - only just made the Virgin flight back to the UK.

good luck - you'll love it!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
3. Re: Safaris or other tours from Nairobi in September

We flew into Nairobi from Heathrow, landed at 6.30 and had bags of time waiting in the domestic terminal across the car park for the 8.30 flight down to Mombasa.

On the way back we only had 45 mins and luckily our bags were transferred airside and we still managed to get in the duty free shop!

Manchester
reviews: 7
4. Re: Safaris or other tours from Nairobi in September

What deals have you seen? I just looked at the Emirates website and they are looking for in excess of £1400 for two people return.

This doesnt seem cheap to me, or is it cheap for Emirate Airlines?

5. Re: Safaris or other tours from Nairobi in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, October 02, 2009