We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 47
Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

The young man at the Embassy at Washington told me last week that photos are not needed.

But then, he also told me application forms are not needed, either - and from the comments I see here, that sounds like bad information.

Right now, I am just curious about the photos.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

are you referring to Visa forms for entering the country

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
2. Re: Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

Yes. They can be downloaded off the web, and I am recommending my clients do it if they decide to wait till they arrive in Nairobi.

It just happens that I have never yet suggested that any client wait till arriving at the airport to obtain the visa - nor have I done it myself.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

Download the forms from the internet, no photos are required as long as you have your passport, and hand both your form, passport and your $50 fee to the immigration staff at the visa desk, it does not take long at all, don't think by getting your visa before you travel will get you through immigration quicker !

It won't

nyc
4. Re: Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

The line/queue for those with Visa already in-hand and those purchasing can be just as long.

Many people just don't like mailing passports, sending by FedEx or some secure option (as USPS Priority or Express mail w/confirmation), along with a like return envelope; let alone the cost if using a Passport Service... ugh! Kenya and Tanzania) countries where you can obtain your Visa on arrival.

FedEx return can run $20+, USPS a tad less... and then the cost of photos. So, easy and less expensive to just get the Visa on site.

As other mentioned, you can 1) download the form, complete and hand-in with passport and $50 (no photos required), or 2) get the forms at the Immigration area, complete and (as #1).

It's been 8/yrs since I've used the NYC Kenya Tourist office; never used the embassy in DC.

Virginia
reviews: 3
5. Re: Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

Thank you for asking the question. I was wondering the same. Going there soon and planning to get the visa at JKIA.

A semi-related question, I think - TIPPING. On a safari, what is the suggested gratuity and how do you give it to make sure that the intended recipient gets it? I am mostly referring to the safari guide/driver on a land package.

Thank you.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 18
6. Re: Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

There's no need to be coy, just shake your guide/driver's hand, tell him what a fantastic job he's done and hand over the dosh! As long as he's done a good job of course. 500/- per person per day is about average.

Virginia
reviews: 3
7. Re: Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

Hi Tembofan,

Thanks. You're talking 500 KES/day/per person, right? :)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 18
8. Re: Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

Yes. Sorry the sign /- after figures means Kenya Shilling. Also, sometimes they refer to the Shilling as "Bob" i.e. 10 Bob for 10 Shillings.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
9. Re: Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

FlowerVirginia - I usually recommend a little more than that - $10USD per person per day to the Guide/driver would be my minimum. And - if you end up as the only

guests in the vehicle, I would say bump that up to $25 per couple. These are men with relatively low salaries who depend on the tipping and commissions from the curio shops to augment their pay from the tour company.

For the groups we operate, we actually include the tipping in the cost our clients pay for the trip, and it is $10 pp per day for the Guide/driver - or $25 per couple per day for clients traveling independently.

nyc
10. Re: Visa at JKIA - no photos needed?

Not even A&K, Micato, Tauck or similar high-end operators, include the gratuity for the guide/driver or tour leader in their rates.

I can understand possibily including gratuity for those "back-of-the-house" folks (porters, houskeeping, chefs, waiters, etc.) who can easily be overlooked, in the rates, but leave it to the individual traveler, whether on a group or independent trip when it comes to the guide/driver.