We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

Dear Travellers,,,,

pls let me know what will be my expectations to be travel in Masai Mara for a day trip.. wht should need to prepare and how much is the cost for the 4 x 4 drive or any suggestions is welcome...

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
1. Re: Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

Too far for just a day. If you only have a day in Nairobi visit the national park there.

Dartford, United...
reviews: 27
2. Re: Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

Just so not worth it for a day trip. You'd have to fly down (driving takes 5-6 hours each way), first plane down is at 10am, not quite sure when the last flight is but it's not late, so you'd have hardly any time there.

As Tembofan says, try Nairobi NP (not quite the same standard, I admit) or even Nakuru NP, about a 2 hour drive from Nairobi.

Augsburg, Germany
reviews: 5
3. Re: Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

Hi,

like the others said - for one day - NO.

If your plannings are not finished and it would be possible to add another day, it will be possible. With one overnight you can use the flying option. Driving - even with one overnight, i won`t do this. In this case maybe a combination Lake Nakuru and Nairobi NP would be another option.

Bye

Chrissy

4. Re: Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:29 am, March 02, 2009
Montreal, Canada
5. Re: Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

Thanks for the post where is Lake Nakuru and what do I see here and what is the cost and how can I go.. any one you knew whom I can book for it

Thanks again

keniata
reviews: 5
6. Re: Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

Masai Mara one day is practically impossible.

The drive from Nairobi to Masai Mara takes 6hrs so without rest that means 12 hours of non stop driving for the return trip.

The drive to Lake Nakuru lasts 2 hrs on some of the best roads in Kenya. While there you can expect to see considerable wildlife and this includes 4 of the Big five i.e Leopard, Rhino (Both black and white) Buffalo and the Lion including hundreds of bird species.

The Tour in a 4wheel vehicle would approximately cost 550USD inclusive of park fees,transport and lunch.

Dartford, United...
7. Re: Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

Lake Nakuru is sort of north-west of Nairobi, just on from Lake Naivasha. The roads have got a lot better over the past year so the journey is not too horrendous.

Depending on the time of year there are many flamingos on the lake. Saying that, they are not a given, we went in January 2007 and saw few, but there were many there when we went in January 2008. They do migrate so numbers vary. There are a large number of white rhino, guaranteed spottings here! You also have the usual ungulates, giraffes, etc, no elephants though. Although there are cats they are more elusive than some places. However, I did have one special experience there when we saw a mother leopard and her cub. And not to forget the black and white Colubus monkeys who frequent the forest.

The park is a bit more tame than some but it is small in comparison and you can see a lot in a short space of time. It is somewhere that I particularly enjoy so I try to incorporate a visit into my longer trips out there.

I'm not sure of the price, cost does depend on the number of passengers in the vehicle. The operator in Nairobi that I always use is safari@ostrichholidayz.com. You can find lots of recommendations on the forums so can make some cost comparisons.

Montreal, Canada
8. Re: Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

Thanks to all this will help me to decide and it seem i will consider Lake Nakuru..

But now there are some friends also suggesting me to visit a day tour is Amboseli National park

If ever i had visited the Nairobi National park do you think i will appreciate the Lake Nakuru or Amboseli Park..

I do this because i have twice to visit Kenya (stop over) unfortunately only 1 1/2 day

Dartford, United...
9. Re: Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

Amboseli, Nakuru and Nairobi NPs are all very different so to do one won't detract from your enjoyment of another. I, personally, wasn't too struck on Nairobi NP, probably because we didn't see too much on our only visit. I went because we had a day to kill and had done everything we wanted to do in Nairobi only 4 months previously. The weather had also been pretty lousy that morning and probably drove a lot of the wildlife undercover so it's not to say it's always like that.

Again, Amboseli is not somewhere to go for a day, the distance to travel by road is nearly as bad as the Mara. You'd be better to stick to the nearer parks and leave the others for when you have a bit more time.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 44
10. Re: Ist advisable to go to Masai Mara by road for a day

This is not sarcasm. But if you spend a few minutes looking at a map, you will quickly see that only Lake Nakuru is close enough for a one-day visit.