We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

I am arriving Nairobi 11th July and after staying in a hotel there for 3 days doing a 5 day safari in Masai. After that flying down to Mombasa till Aug 3rd for the rest of my holiday. Last time I came to Kenya I took Malarone as I was in Mombasa but seeing it is July and I will be in Nairobi to start, is it necessary to be taking Malarone there? It will be expensive to buy (in Oz) for 4 weeks supply. I have read that Nairobi is not mosquito infected.Would repellant be enough?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 18
1. Re: Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

Its a bit like Russian roulette - just that one rogue mossie takes a nip....and you are saving yourself the cost of a few tablets - is your life worth it?

I definitely wouldn't risk it as despite using repellant they still have a great meal on me.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 18
2. Re: Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

Its a bit like Russian roulette - just that one rogue mossie takes a nip....and you are saving yourself the cost of a few tablets - is your life worth it?

I definitely wouldn't risk it as despite using repellant they still have a great meal on me.

London, United...
3. Re: Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

Nairobi itself is mostly malaria free because of the high altitude but I'm not so sure about the Masai I'm sure you would need Malarone or Larium.

The question is how much do you value your health, and is it worth taking the risk?

Thousand Oaks...
reviews: 65
4. Re: Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

Not to be a fear monger, but a very good friend of mine caught malaria during a 4 day stay in Nairobi. He never left the city and never even noticed the bite. How expensive can those pills possibly be when considering you health from a disease like malaria? Are they really that much in the over all cost of the trip?

London, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

Although many "authorities " say nairobi is Malaria free many locls say it is there so dont take a risk and get your tsblets

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
6. Re: Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

You could look at Doxycycline. Much cheaper. Lots of info on other posts. You can buy it here at 100/- (less than £1) for 100 tabs.

Va, Usa
reviews: 20
7. Re: Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

Take some advice from someone who lived in Kenya for over three years. It's not worth the risk. The altitude in Nairobi is NOT high enough to avoid malaria carrying mossies. You would have to be around Kijabe (7,500 ft.) or so before I would just ignore taking meds. I was fortunate that I never contracted it, because I did NOT always take it religiously when in Nairobi, but I do not recommend that you risk it. I've witnessed way too many people with Malaria and it's not a fun disease.

You will definitely need it in Masai Mara and at the coast.

nyc
8. Re: Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

Just back from Kenya - Nairobi, Meru, Samburu, Shaba, Masai Mara. The only place I was bitten was in Nairobi, even with cool to cold nights and mornings, regardless the altitude. Took Malarone from 2/day prior arrival and now continuing for 7/days that I'm home.

Don't take the chance, take the meds regardless the cost. While doxy is less expensive, it has side-effects, one of which is sun-sensitivity which might not be ideal for your time at Mombasa and you have to take these almost a month upon leaving Kenya.

keniata
reviews: 5
9. Re: Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

I live in Nairobi and....well am resistant to the fever but definately it is rampant here. The altitude here is not sufficient to hinder the development of the mosquito. Its only in places very high altitude that are free of this pandemic.

I cant advice the exact medicine since i dont have any experience with the disease. I have had one problem but this is with the TSETSE fly in the mara. Trust me,not a pleasant experience. As much as you planning to have anti malarials, please DO NOT forget the repellant.

Karibu!!

Brisbane
10. Re: Malaria tablets for Nairobi?

Thank you all for your advice. It's interesting to hear first hand from locals that there is a problem even in Nairobi because the official print out from the W.H.O which my doctor showed me, said it was not necessary for Nairobi, and I had to convince him that I had received warnings to the contrary. So I have bought enough tablets to cover my entire trip, horribly expensive, but my private health cover has reimbursed me almost the total cost so it was well worth it.And yes, have some Deet repellant too.