We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet travel to Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 2
Pet travel to Nairobi

I have a small dog, and would like for him to travel in cabin. I am coming from the U.S. and am planning to stay for sometime in Nairobi.Is there anyone who can tell me if coming into the Nairobi airport if pets have to travel cargo or can they fly in cabin. If they can fly in Cabin which airline can I take?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: Pet travel to Nairobi

My best friend recently took her dog from London to Mombasa via Nairobi using KA. The dog had to travel in an approved dog cage in the hold. It proved to be a hugely costly exercise with loads of red tape. She was very disappointed in the care given - poor thing had nothing to drink from London on!

England
reviews: 6
2. Re: Pet travel to Nairobi

When transporting my little dog half way round the world she had to travel in the hold. I wired a rabbit drinking bottle to the inside of her cage having taught her to drink from the spout before-hand. At least that way I knew she could get a drink.

nyc
3. Re: Pet travel to Nairobi

Few airlines nowadays allow (even small) dogs to fly in the cabin, so you'd have to check with the specific air carrier - British, Virgin, KLM, Swiss, Emirates, Brussels, Kenya Air - all fly into Nairobi.

Whether cabin or hold, it's not inexpensive.

You also have to verify what requirements needed for the dog to enter Kenya, i.e., vaccines and other documentation.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
4. Re: Pet travel to Nairobi

Also add in the cost of the "tip" to the custom's official at the receiving airport. My friend was forced to "tip" the equivalent of £50.

5. Re: Pet travel to Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, September 30, 2009