We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multi entry Visa for Kenya

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 8
Multi entry Visa for Kenya

We are doing a safari that starts in Kenya, travels into Tanzania, then back to Kenya so we need a multi entry visa. I have been reading a visa may be purchased in Nairobi Airport. Has anyone in fact bought a mutli entry visa at the airport and if so, the cost, and if it was worth doing or should we arrange it at home before we leave. Many thanks, Ann

Colden, New York
reviews: 72
1. Re: Multi entry Visa for Kenya

It is my understanding that when you arrive in Kenya you are able to get visa at airport. $50 USD Need to ask for visitor's pass for free re-entry to Kenya if just coming back to Kenya to leave to go home. $100 USD for multi entry visa. My research shows $50 USD for Tanzania for single entry-can get at most border crossings but I think the price may have gone up to $100 USD for visa. Are you going through a safari operator? Would think you would get all this info from them. Our trip is like yours-10 days Kenya, 9 days Tanzania, back to Kenya for additional 2 nights flying to Samburu. We don't leave until August 7th so no paperwork yet other than flight info. Believe you have to have separate visas for Kenya and Tanzania. Hopefully someone else will respond with more definitive info. Have a great time!!

Thousand Oaks...
reviews: 64
2. Re: Multi entry Visa for Kenya

Tanzanian visas are now $100.00US. You MUST have a yellow fever vaccination card to get in to TZ from Kenya.

I've tried before to get a multi-entry visa at the airport in Kenya and have been told that you can not get them there. Now that may have just been the particular person I was dealing with, but that is what he told me at the time. Since I was just passing through once and coming back once, there was no savings so I just went ahead and did the single entry there, then did another single entry when I came back in at the border later. If you really want to do a multi-entry you should do it from home before you leave. However, its not going to save you any money.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 8
3. Re: Multi entry Visa for Kenya

Hi xbioman. Are you certain about the yellow fever vaccination because all my research, WHO, internet, local medical authorities say it is not a requirement but only a recommendation. Do you have a website I can go to that says it is a requirement. Thanking you, Ann

Colden, New York
4. Re: Multi entry Visa for Kenya

I believe you need the yellow fever shot proof if you are entering Tanzania from any county that is considered infected and Kenya is one of the listed countries especially if entering Tz. overland. However, they may not ask to see proof at border crossing. Maybe someone who recently (within last 6 months) traveled overland from Kenya to Tz. could reply if were asked to produce proof. I'm not taking any chances so will be getting the shot next week as recommended by my doctor, local health dept., and travel agent. Since my health insur. pays it's not too big a deal. Also got Hep. A and tetanus but that was needed for trip to China. Also getting typhoid shot. After all this should be set to travel most anywhere next 10 yrs.!! I know the yellow fever shots are expensive ($155 UDS here pp) so can understand not wanting to pay if not mandatory or if you just don't like getting shots! Couldn't find any definitive info on any websites for Tz either.

Thousand Oaks...
5. Re: Multi entry Visa for Kenya

If you are flying in from Nairobi you will definitely have to have the proof. I was stopped in January and only realized I had forgotten my card as I stepped up to the desk. Luckily they had only just started checking so I was able to talk my way out of it. My friend who just got back from Tanz/Kenya last night just told me this afternoon that they are still checking both at the airport (Kilimanjaro) and at the border crossing at Namanga.

This is not a WHO requirement, it is a Tanzanian national requirement.

Thousand Oaks...
6. Re: Multi entry Visa for Kenya

I also just checked the US CDC site and they confirm that proof of Yellow Fever vaccine is required when coming in from all countries now.

wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationTanzania.aspx

scroll down to the vaccinations section.

Nairobi, Kenya
7. Re: Multi entry Visa for Kenya

Annie- once you acquire a Kenya or Tanzania visa upon entry, it is valid for re-entry for the next three months at no charge, the Kenya visa is $50 per person and Tanzania visa is US$50 for Non America passport holders (USA passport holders are charged $100)

xbioman and Chris are right on the yellow fever jab, it is a requirement. Much as they do not bother to check most of the times, it is wise to have one just in case, otherwise you might have to part with upto $30 to be let through

If you still have lots of time before start of safari, you could apply for both visas at home then you wouldnt have to queue at the Immigration desk at the respective country's points of entry

Colden, New York
8. Re: Multi entry Visa for Kenya

I just e-mailed Ann with info my travel agent sent me but for anyone else with same questions regarding visas and/or yellow fever vac. can go to this website for help.

www.tanzaniaembassy-us.org

Dartford, United...
reviews: 27
9. Re: Multi entry Visa for Kenya

A visa obtained at the point of entry into Kenya is certainly valid for 3 months but only for one single entry i.e. for one entry of up to 3 months.

A multi-entry visa cannot be obtained at the airport, it has to be applied for through the Kenyan embassy in your own country.

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
10. Re: Multi entry Visa for Kenya

I thought the single entry Kenya visa was valid for re-entry from Tanzania or Uganda as long as it's within the visa validity period. Is that not the case any more?

As stated above, the Tanzania visa is still $50 for non-US passport holders.

It's pretty easy to get both visas on arrival and you don't need passport photos when applying in person. Just download the visa application form from the Kenyan embassy or Kenya Airways website.

I replied on your other post regarding yellow fever, but yes it's required. They started enforcing this in January 2008.