We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I have an issue changing USD in Nairobi?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Will I have an issue changing USD in Nairobi?

My husdand and I are travelling on an Intrepid Tour in East Afica and they asked us to provide minted post 2003 USD for our local fees.

I have just changed some currancy and requested I receive minted post 2003 however they were only able to provide me with some notes after this date. (Some of the notes are dated 1996)

The tour company advised me that I may have problems getting this changed and they may refuse to change it all together.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

Nairobi, Kenya
1. Re: Will I have an issue changing USD in Nairobi?

Some money changers may decline the 1996 dated bills while others will accept albeit at a lower rate (like kshs 5 lower) than the 2000 onwards bills,

Kenya
reviews: 4
2. Re: Will I have an issue changing USD in Nairobi?

Marshharrier is right.But as such no problems in changing us $. Loads of banks and forex bureaus to have money changed.

cheshire
reviews: 2
3. Re: Will I have an issue changing USD in Nairobi?

I came back from Nairobi two days ago and yes, I did have issues with the 1996 bills! The airport bureau d'exchange refused the 1996 bills altogether, however the local tour company (Bunson Travel) who we had arranged to pay locally didn't have any problem. First time I have ever heard of this....certainly isn't an issue in the States!

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 33
4. Re: Will I have an issue changing USD in Nairobi?

Hi Happytraveller

The reason why Kenyans (and Tanzanians as well, for that matter) wanted newer bills is because the older design bills, which were all uniform in colour, were relatively easy to fake. East Africans are afraid of being stuck with a forgery. Newer bills have slightly different colours and some safety devices so they can't be forget as easily. Notes don't have to be freshly minted, only of the new design.

Kenya
reviews: 22
5. Re: Will I have an issue changing USD in Nairobi?

better safe than sorry.from personal experience,the before 2000 are very hard to change coz nobody wants to be stuck with them and yet have nowhere to take them later on.Be safe and carry newer notes to avoid problms in forex bureaus,banks,hotels and tour companies.Dont be mislead!

6. Re: Will I have an issue changing USD in Nairobi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:30 am, January 04, 2012
nyc
7. Re: Will I have an issue changing USD in Nairobi?

Bills should be relatively new, though not freshly minted (in your basement :)), and no older than about 2003. The newer bills with larger faces (except the $1 which hasn't been changed), the $10 in shades of tan, $20s in multi-green, $5 with purple 5# on rear; $50s with larger face.

But, you can use the ATM for local Shillings, easy enough to do. You're often provided with large notes, but there is an exchange window next to the ATM where you can ask for them to break the 1000 notes into smaller 500, 100 and even 50s. Hotels/lodges/camps will take local currency as will small souvenir shops and stands along the roads.

USD are good to have, are accepted along with credit cards accepted at many larger shops/hotels/lodges, though often a fee assessed for their use... always ask before putting down the plastic. And remember, many cards do charge a Foreign Conversion Fee when using out of your home country whether in local or your home currency.

8. Re: Will I have an issue changing USD in Nairobi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 29, 2009