We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to be a single tourist for 1 day in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dorset, England
reviews: 8
Best way to be a single tourist for 1 day in Nairobi

I'm sure there's someone out there who can advise me!

I'm staying at the Fairview Hotel for 2 nights in Nairobi before joining a project and would like to do the tourist bit - elephant orphanage etc. for one day. As a single middle aged female would it be better (and safer) to join a organised trip (and if so can anyone make any tour company recommendations) or would booking a taxi or guide be a suitable option.

Also suggestions on what to see would be great (apart from the eles)

Many thanks

London, United...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Best way to be a single tourist for 1 day in Nairobi

if you can get a reccommende taxi driver do it that way - it will be a lot cheaper and a local can get to see one of the many wonderful sights Nairobi has to offer

keniata
reviews: 5
2. Re: Best way to be a single tourist for 1 day in Nairobi

Hi skipuss,

Using a taxi would be a cheaper option for you but you might need a guide. This is a safe way to travel around Nairobi. Finding an organized group might not be easy because of conflict of dates and timings.Apart from the elephant orphanage you can do the giraffe manor> nice place to interact within the giraffes one on one. The safari walk and animal

orphanage also are nice places to visit. All this can be done in one day but the elephant orphanage only opens for one hour. Btw 11 and 12 to minimize their tolerance to human beings.

All the best.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
3. Re: Best way to be a single tourist for 1 day in Nairobi

Or you could adopt a baby ele and then you can arrange to go for longer in the day.

Brisbane
4. Re: Best way to be a single tourist for 1 day in Nairobi

A day in Nairobi can be such fun!! Of course, the elephants are a must. Are you a foster parent of one of the orphans? If you are, did you know you can have a more private viewing in the evening when you can meet your baby personally!!! This was definitely a highlight for me. Email the trust to arrange. Other highlights are the Giraffe Centre where you can feed the giraffes and learn more about them, Karen Blixen Museum (Out of Africa), Bomas of Africa, a cultural village where you will learn about the tribes and watch them perform, Utamaduni Craft Centre for more up-market crafts. Carnivore Restaurant is also a lot of fun but probably better if you have company. All of these attractions are in Langata an outer suburb of Nairobi, so all close by to each other.

I have friends in the safari business in Nairobi who I would recommend to you, but not sure how their cost would compare to other forms of travel for a single person. Please try them.

East Africa Discoveries and Safaris, run by Isaac Kariuki, email safari@eastafricad.co.ke OR eastafricad@yahoo.com. www.eastafricad.co.ke

Ask for David to guide you ... he is also a friend and a wonderful guide, very professional and polite. I am also a middle aged female and always felt safe in his company. I love Kenya with a passion and will definitely be going back. I'd love to know more about your project ... please reply??!!!

5. Re: Best way to be a single tourist for 1 day in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:25 am, September 29, 2009