We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilson to NBO transfer

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Wilson to NBO transfer

Hello,

I have a flight arriving at Wilson Airport at 12:50 PM (July 11) and then my international flight leaves from NBO at 3:00 PM on the same day. Is that enough time to get from Wilson to NBO? If it isn't enough time I will need to spend the night in Nairobi and I would rather not have to do that.

Thanks.

Africa
reviews: 20
1. Re: Wilson to NBO transfer

Hi,

Wow, you're cutting it close. The airports are actually quite close to one another, about 15km apart. But you are arriving on a weekday, especially a Friday and the traffic is killer on Mombasa Road (the main highway to the airport.) Forget side streets. If you can get an earlier flight in to Wilson, you'll be fine. Be warned that JKIA (Jomo Kenyatta International Airport - NBO) is extremely strict on the 2 hour check in policy and have no problems turning you away. On the other hand, if everyone is late, which is more likely to happen, you may get lucky so go for it but hurry!

New Zealand
2. Re: Wilson to NBO transfer

I would like to get an earlier flight into Wilson, but I will be leaving from Lewa Downs and there is only one flight a day leaving from there (the flight leaves at 10:30 AM and arrives at Wilson at 12:50). I don't know why the flight from Lewa Downs to Wilson is 2 hrs 20 minutes whereas the flight from Wilson to Lewa is only a little over an hour.

Perhaps it would be best not to risk missing my international flight by leaving Lewa on the 10th rather than the 11th and spending the night in Nairobi.

Africa
reviews: 20
3. Re: Wilson to NBO transfer

Not sure why it's longer. Most likely they are doing another stop on the way back from Lewa. Lewa's a fantastic place from what I hear and they have quite an experienced crew who'd be able to tell you whether your departure times from Nairobi will be an issue. They could also tell you (which happens quite frequently on other internal flights) that you get there much earlier than what is stated on the ticket.

You could try drop them a line and pose the same query. If they're adamant about the time, then it would be better to come in the night before.

nyc
4. Re: Wilson to NBO transfer

There's probably another stop on the return from Lewa to Wilson.

Discuss with your outfitter... they should know your international flight schedule in order to coordinate with your domestic flights.

If you decide to come in a day earlier, it would still be the same flight arrival time at Wilson.

How many days total you are yspending at Lewa? Can you/do you want to shorten stay at Lewa by 1/day? If so, then you'd need an overnight somewhere in Nairobi.

Final option, would be a private charter from Lewa into Wilson (or maybe direct to JKIA). This will be more costly, but compare price for private chrter vs domestic, the day at Lewa vs day in Nairobi, etc. Again, discuss with your ground operator in Kenya.

New Zealand
5. Re: Wilson to NBO transfer

Thank you for your advice. I have contacted Lewa and they suggested that I take the safe route and spend an extra night in Nairobi, which means I'll have to leave Lewa one day earlier (July 10 instead of July 11).

This is fine though...I'll still have 18 nights at Lewa. I'm so excited for this trip (I'm not on the typical tourist trip, I will be working with the wildlife vets at Lewa while I'm there).

nyc
6. Re: Wilson to NBO transfer

18/days - lucky you.

Then 1/day earlier into NBO makes sense and you'll have more than sufficient time to get to JKIA for your homebound flight.

Australia
reviews: 3
7. Re: Wilson to NBO transfer

I recently made this exact flight connection from Lewa to Wilson's and then out on an international flight leaving JKIA at 3pm and felt the same time pressure dilemma. The flight from Lewa to Wilson's takes so long because Lewa is stop 2 (after Nanyuki) then it flies to Meru, Samburu and back to Nairobi. Assuming that there are passengers to either drop off or pick up at these stops will determine the time it takes to get back to Nairobi. The steps we tooks were as follows; we rang Air Kenya the day prior to our flight to remind them about our transfer and we also rang our international flight (Qatar). We also made sure that our driver knew of the tight schedule. When we arrived at Wilson's we asked whether we could take our luggage straight from the plane ourselves which they let us do. Our driver had assessed the traffic prior to our arrival (our transfer was on a Friday) and was of the opinion that we would be fine. We had a contingency plan to drive through Nairobi National Park which would cost us the entry but with no traffic and a gate virtually opposite the International Airport it would be a time and stress saving option. Our biggest wait was getting through security into the airport but everyone was helpful and we had an hour to spare. As we were only at Lewa for 5 nights we weren't planning to lose a night because of the transfer, but it was a tense morning! You have 18 nights to play with so maybe dropping one for peace of mind is a good idea … but just wanted to let you know that we did the same transfer and it worked fine. Enjoy Lewa, it is the most wonderful place you could imagine and I am so envious of your opportunity.

Hilary

New Zealand
8. Re: Wilson to NBO transfer

Thank you for the post, Hilary. I have already changed my flight from Lewa to Nairobi so that I have an extra night in Nairobi.

The Air Kenya woman who helped me was so friendly, so the process was hassle-free.

Glad to hear that Lewa was a good experience for you. I leave 3 weeks from today...so excited!

9. Re: Wilson to NBO transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:23 am, September 29, 2009