We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NBO airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colden, New York
reviews: 72
NBO airport

Flight from Samburu arrives around 1 pm. Flight out of NBO departs 11:20 pm. When should we arrive at the airport? I think we will be flying to and from Samburu at a different airport but not sure. It's designated as a fly-in safari don't know if that helps but I would think we would be using a smaller airport? Since this isn't happening until 8/22/08 we don't have our tickets for the entire trip yet. Is there stuff to do at NBO airport to kill time?? Thanks.

nyc
1. Re: NBO airport

The flight from Samburu arrives at Wilson (domestic) airport. Your 11:20pm flight departs from Jomo Kenyatta Intl Airport, on the other side of town.

What do you plan to do between 1pm and 8pm when you have to be at JKIA for checkin/security for your homebound flight?

Is your ground operator, arranging pickup at Wilson?

Have you arrange anything for 7/hours? maybe a day-room at a NBO hotel?

- or sightseeing in/around NBO, such as: Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe Center, last minute souvenir shopping; dinner at 6pm at Carnivore (meat) or Tamarind (fish/seafood) or any others... lots of cuisines from which to choose?

- I'm sure you'd like to do something with your luggage?

Discuss options/details with your travel agent, tour operator, in-country outfitter.

nyc
2. Re: NBO airport

ooops, forgot

- it's unlikely you will receive your local (in-country) flight vouchers until you arrive in Kenya.

- nothing much to do at NBO/JKIA airport.

Colden, New York
reviews: 72
3. Re: NBO airport

We are going to be met when we arrive at 1 pm. We also have arranged with our ground operator to visit the Karen Home and the Giraffe Center but that still leaves us time. Ground Operator had suggested dinner at Carnivore but we are having dinner there prior to the Samburu safari. Thanks for the mention of the Tamarind Restaurant. I'll mention that and see if we could do dinner there. Also while searching around I did find website for KAA and see that NBO has shops, etc. so now am not too concerned about spending time waiting for our 11:20 pm flight to London. One thing I love to do is shop! Thanks Sandi for responding.

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 33
4. Re: NBO airport

Hi Chris45ny. If shopping is your thing, then NBO airport isn't... It's mostly duty free shops with booze but also souvenir shops that sell loads of tourist stuff from T-shirts to sculptures) although there are a coule of jewellry shops. If you want to shop for something meaningful why not visit the Kitengela glass factory http://www.kitengela-glass.com/. It's not far off yozur way between Wilson airport and the international airport

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 66
5. Re: NBO airport

jambo!

nbi is not famed for shopping but if you like the african curios, artifacts, beads, fabric pieces, sisal baskets etc (rather crudely made but charming too) sold at the 'masai market' and if you are here on 22nd aug - friday that happens at the village market (gigiri - sub urb of nbi)- this might be a good outing, and you can grab a bite or have a tusker beer, and then head to jkia late afternoon.

pls note traffic is exceptionally bad on fridays and towards end month - and if there is an accident or vip travelling to the /from airport you could be sitting in traffic for 3 - 5 hours! so be careful!

6. Re: NBO airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, September 28, 2009