We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi hotel cost for just one night??

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
reviews: 5
Nairobi hotel cost for just one night??

We are just about ready to send $$ to complete our pkg to reserve our one night stay on Nariobi before our flight to the Mara in Sept. I was asking for a reasonably priced hotel near to the airport. I was quoted $240 for the Hilton /$270 for Intercontinental/ $290 for the Serena. This does not include airport transfer or breakfast. We are already spending extra $$ than what we budgeted, hate to sound cheep but it all adds up.

I hate to book the hotel tru another operator because I am using this one for the flying safari to Mara and some additional services and flights.

Are these reasonable rates? I was quoted a reasonable rate for the Safari Park Hotel including breakfast, but the transfer fare is $75 one way. I thought why should we stay so far away from the airport for just a few hours sleep? Am I being price gouged?

Any suggestions?

SD

nyc
1. Re: Nairobi hotel cost for just one night??

You'll be flying out of the Wilson (domestic) airport for flight to the Mara. All of the hotels above are in city-center Nairobi. Wilson airport is located closest to the Nairobi suburb of Karen.

Most of the hotels (B&Bs) in Karen are expensive, but you might want to ask about Macushla House; a small 6/room B&B, lovely public space and gardens. Price should include breakfast.

The transfer whether from downtown or Karen to Wilson will be what it is. Fuel prices are just as high, if not higher than California.

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
2. Re: Nairobi hotel cost for just one night??

Have you checked rates online at www.hilton.com or www.intercontinental.com?

$240 sounds high for the Hilton unless there's some event going on. I don't know what your dates are but it's usually more in the $100+ range if booked direct. No need to use another operator.

Earlier this year I paid $25 (one way per car) for a transfer from Wilson to the central business district (where the Hilton and IC are).

I also paid 1800 KES for a taxi from Runda to NBO (Jomo Kenyatta Intl). Runda is a northern suburb of Nairobi.

Taxis are fine to take. If you prefer to prebook one, I've found www.jimcab.co.ke to be reliable or have your hotel do it for you.

Kolb��ck
3. Re: Nairobi hotel cost for just one night??

Hello SD,

You’ve only been quoted expensive hotels. You could have an acceptable hotel night in the city centre for a 10th of those prices, or for something midrange you could have a look at Kenya Comfort. www.kenyacomfort.com/docs/kch_rates.htm

Last year I paid 1200 shillings ($19.50) for a taxi from the airport to the city centre and from the city centre to Wilson it was a bit less.

For something more reasonable in Karen you could have a look at Karen Camp: http://www.karencamp.com/webpages/costs.htm (£-prices)

San Diego
reviews: 5
4. Re: Nairobi hotel cost for just one night??

Thanks Patti for your help. I just went on the Hilton website and they do have the best deal $175 (taxes incl) for King with breakfast. I understand they have a airport shuttle service greet at airport? I just didn't want to take the business away from the local operator in Kenya but I think his fees are just too high. Gave us a good deal for the 3 day Mara fly safari. I will wait to see what response I get from my last email to the T/O.

SD

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
5. Re: Nairobi hotel cost for just one night??

If you email the Hilton, they should be able to arrange to meet you at the airport.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 65
6. Re: Nairobi hotel cost for just one night??

jambo sd

the reputable hotels in nairobi are ridiculously expensive and not worth it (average is us$200) airport transfer is also pricey depending on which taxi/hotel (fuel has gone up - costs now about 2000/-kshs one way!)

safari park is reasonable & very pleasant but too far out; it will take u 2 - 3 hours to get to the airport (traffic is a nightmare these days)!

now if you want a cheap/less reputable place you can check out the milimani hotel, kenya comfort hotel, country lodge (this is a new sister hotel to fairview hotel - which i would not recomend ; see my disapointing review about it - but this new lodge is cheaper - under/about $100)..

all the best!

7. Re: Nairobi hotel cost for just one night??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 28, 2009