We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bruxelles, Belgium
reviews: 67
4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

Hello all,

This August I am going on holidays in Tanzania. On the way back, I am changing the flight in Nairobi airport. But between the 2 flights, I have around 6 hrs 15 mins.

So, I am wondering whether it could make sense to do a brief tour of the town.

This would mean getting the visa for Kenya, finding a tour operator for hiring a car with driver/guide etc.

In your view, is it worth?

In other words, are there particularly interesting things which i can easily see in 4/5 hrs and which are worth the hassle and money?

Thanks much for advice, views, tips, info etc.

north yorkshire
reviews: 17
11. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

Lived in nairobi for several years. Landing 16.00, not out of the airport until 17.00 having paid $30 for the privilege, arrive in city 17.30 and its nearly dark? Not much to see in the way of sights and certainly not in the dark. I appreciate that you might not find yourself in that part of the world again but I don't think you'll be missing much. I think the idea of a good book sounds good! However, if you're desperate how about dinner at the Carnivore?!

Kenya
reviews: 4
12. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

Hi,since you are landing at 16.00hrs, that is now the peak period. You shall reach city centre at 18.00hrs. You have to report back 3hrs to jomo kenyatta airport 3hrs before departure.I would advice not to do city tour as it will be nearly getting dark by then. Visit for the carnivore for some game meat feast and back to the airport

nyc
13. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

As I mentioned above, if you want a meal, while Carnivore is an institution, you still have to get thru Nairobi at rush hour.

You can get the same, if not better, meal at the nearby Panari Hotel, The Pampa Restaurant on 2nd floor. Just 10/min taxi ride down the airport road. And, taxi back when finished.

Bruxelles, Belgium
reviews: 67
14. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

ok, thanks much for all the advice. they do make sense, i'm afraid.

so, i'll guess i'll choose between a good book and a dinner at the reastaurant nearby. but 30$ (visa) x 2 persons + cab + dinner ... only for having dinner outside the airport perhaps is not worth.

thanks again to all

luca

London, United...
reviews: 13
15. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

As much as I support Nairobi - on this occasion I have to say not enough time -when you next come to Africa make it Kenya and give Nairobi @ least 3/4 days of your time.

16. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, September 28, 2009