We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bruxelles, Belgium
reviews: 67
4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

Hello all,

This August I am going on holidays in Tanzania. On the way back, I am changing the flight in Nairobi airport. But between the 2 flights, I have around 6 hrs 15 mins.

So, I am wondering whether it could make sense to do a brief tour of the town.

This would mean getting the visa for Kenya, finding a tour operator for hiring a car with driver/guide etc.

In your view, is it worth?

In other words, are there particularly interesting things which i can easily see in 4/5 hrs and which are worth the hassle and money?

Thanks much for advice, views, tips, info etc.

Bruxelles, Belgium
1. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

PS to be precise: airport is Kenyatta (NBO)

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 33
2. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

Hi

Just for Info

If you do leave transit in Kenya you will need a transit visa which costs about USD 30,. AND you will also need a yellow fever vaccination and certificate to travelaon to Tanzania.

Other than that, depending on the time of arrival you might get stuck in the Nairobi traffic, cutting short your visit. Near NBO airport is the Nairobi National Park if you want to do a quick safari...

nyc
3. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

This is on your return from Tanzania? Yes?

Then no you do not need the YF inoc for entry into Kenya. And, if you had YF for Tanzania, no problem.

Also, it's not likely your bags off flight from Tanzania will be tagged for thru flight to Europe. You'll have to collect bags and recheck for your homebound flight. Takes time, especially if the check-in desk for ongoing flight is not open, you'll have to take your bag wherever you go, via taxi or tour operator.

So you'll then need Transit Visa $30; you have to be back at JKIA minimum 2/hrs prior departure for check-in/security. What time will this be? mid-afternoon or evening? If evening, most sights are closed.

Cutting it close, if you get caught in Nairobi traffic. You can taxi to nearby Panari Hotel for dinner as the Pampa restaurant; even into NBO city center for dinner at the Norfolk Hotel... but much more than that is pushing it!

Kenya
reviews: 4
4. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

Depends what time you arrive in to kenya. If its beween 8am and 7pm, it takes 2 hrs to get from jomo kenya airport to city centre.A small city tour can then be done.

Kenya
reviews: 4
5. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

loads of traffic now from airport to city centre as a new road is made + cars on the rise

Bruxelles, Belgium
6. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

(thanks to all respondents so far)

ok, to be more precise: my plane from zanzibar should land in NBO at 16.00 and my plane from NBO to Amsterdam should depart at 22.15

since the znz-nbo flight and the Nbo-amsterdam flight are part of the same overall plane ticket (a multi-city with KLM) I would assume I do not need to collect the luggage and to check-in in again

i shld have all the bording passes with me and luggage shld be directly trasferred from one plane to the other

(in case I need to confirm this with KLM obviously)

in the light of all this, i repeat my question: do you think it is worth the hassle and the money to hire a car+driver and do a 4/5 hrs trip to naiorbi?

if the most interesting things are outiside the twon we will, not need to reach the town centre

however, after spending 14 days on a safari (serengeti, ngorongoro, manyara, tarangire, arusha NP) i'm not sure that a quick walk in another park could be worthwhile (unless there is smng quite different to see e.g. different animals, plants, expositons, etc)

thanks again in advance to those which will give me their views, info and tips

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
7. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

As it starts to get dark around 6.30pm ish you won't have chance to see much anyway and its perhaps not advisable to go walking around Nairobi in the dark. Unless you've an absolutely yearning to get out of the airport, I would take a good book, find a comfy seat (if possible) and stay put!

Bruxelles, Belgium
8. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

yes, the fact that it gets dark soon after I land is definitely smng to take into account

point is that one may not happen to find himself in nairobi that often, and it is a pity if you have some time and there exist the possibility to see smng really interesting or special, to miss this opportunity

who knows when i'll be there again....

nyc
9. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

bruges -

As you wrote:

>>since the znz-nbo flight and the Nbo-amsterdam flight are part of the same overall plane ticket (a multi-city with KLM) I would assume I do not need to collect the luggage and to check-in in again

i shld have all the bording passes with me and luggage shld be directly trasferred from one plane to the other

(in case I need to confirm this with KLM obviously)<<

TIA - this is Africa. Doubtfull you will get your ongoing boarding passes to AMS when checking in at ZNZ via NBO. And, often the only luggage tag placed on your bag/s is marked NBO - no flight no, no departure time, no nothing. So check before they place your bags on plane leaving ZNZ.

Why I suggested you collect bags at NBO/JKIA and recheck them for the KLM flight to AMS.

Bruxelles, Belgium
10. Re: 4/5 Hours in Nairobi: does it make sense to do a city tour?

4sandi:

ok i understand, i was probably a bit naive to think i cld check in ZNZ for AMS (in reality would be for Bruxelles, since in Schipol I'll catch my 3rd (and final) flight on the way home)

so, then i'd say that there is really no point in thinking about a possible quick visit of nairobi or of some attractions outisde nairobi....