We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in May

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
reviews: 2
weather in May

I am spending 3 days in Nairobi next week, can anyone give me an idea of what to expect weather-wise? Also do I need antimalarials? I am hoping to do day trips - who would you get to organise this? Thanks

Ellesmere Port...
1. Re: weather in May

Milimani backpackers (ex-Nairobi backpackers) on Milimani road, Nairobi provide excellent advice on safaris. They have several accommodation options ranging from dorms to a private appartment, also they have access to the swimming pool at the Milimani Hotel nearby. Phone: + 254 (0) 20-272 4827

Mobile: + 254 (0) 722-347616 Ask for Patricia.

Also planet safari in Sonalux House, Moi Avenue, Nairobi are able to provide tailor made safari solutions.

Planet safari will allow you to stay for free for the night before and after the safari in the dormitory that forms part of their office, however, there will not be any hot water, and the shower is useless (toilet and sink are ok though). The staff are freindly enough. Tel: ++254 +2 229799 /229992

Tel: ++254 +2 312735

Fax: ++254 +2 211899

Mobile: ++254 +72 522911/517761

E-mail: planet@africaonline.co.ke Ask for Josephine.

As for antimalarials - The advice from the FCO and from your GP will be to TAKE THEM!!! However, they are not cheap. eg A course of Malarone for a 2 week stay in Kenya will cost £70!!!

However, you can always do what the locals do and take your chances! Nairobi in itself is usually at too high an altitude to get mosquitos, however, its your life!!! Prevention is always better than a cure, so a mosquito net soaked in neet DEET will be essential!

Kenya
reviews: 4
2. Re: weather in May

Hi,the weather currently is 24 degrees during day and dropping to about 16/17 degrees in the evening. The weather is lovely. We did not get enough rains this year.

nyc
3. Re: weather in May

If staying in NBO at 5,000-ft, no malaria meds required. Once you leave to go somewhere on safari, i.e., out to the Mara, or down to Amboseli or north to Lk.Nakuru... you need the meds.

While Malarone is the med most use these days and can be expensive, if only in effected areas 3/days you need way less than half the normal 2/week safari amount.

2/tabs before you arrive in effected area, daily -3/tabs - while in effected area (Mara, Amboseli or Nakuru) and 7/days after... so total 12/tabs.

cheshire
4. Re: weather in May

Thanks..I have taken Malarone many times, so know about the cost, and as I'm only doing Nairobi I was hoping I could avoid that.Stil not sure on that one.

Glad to hear the weather's good - the forecast refers to a lot of rain(??) so I am reassured!

Thanks for responses so far..any more help would be welcome

cheshire
5. Re: weather in May

just re-read 4sandi's reply...may do a trip to Lake Nakuru so that answers the malarone question!

6. Re: weather in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 28, 2009