We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending one night in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Spending one night in Nairobi

Hello, I will be traveling from New Zealand to Kenya on June 20/21, and I will need to spend one night in Nairobi before continuing my travels to Lewa. I know that I will be exhausted after all the travel and would like to find a safe, secure hotel where I can do nothing but relax. I have seen many people recommending the Fairview and it looks good to me, but I am not a business traveller (26 year old single guy). Would the Fairview still be ok, or is there another hotel that is more suitable?

Also, I will need to be at Wilson airport the next morning for a 9:00 AM departure flight to Lewa, so proximity to the airport is somewhat important.

Finally, what would be the best way to get from NBO —> hotel —> Wilson? Taxi? Pre-arranged shuttle service?

Any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

London
reviews: 9
1. Re: Spending one night in Nairobi

Hi, we have just come back from our honeymoon which involved time in Kenya. We stayed in Nairobi also for one night before going off to Wilson airport to continue our trip. Due to the trouble we changed our hotel and stayed in the Nairobi Hilton as it was more central.

I can totally recommend this place, it wasn't too expensive (though admittedly the cost of the room was split between 2 of us), the hotel is immaculate, the people very friendly and the service was great. It was just what we needed to recover from the flights: good food, good service, a nice shower and a good night sleep.

It is about 20-25 minutes drive from Wilson airport and for a nominal fee you can arrange with their concierge service to be met when you arrive and/or taken to Wilson airport.

Hope this helps,

nyc
2. Re: Spending one night in Nairobi

The Fairview is a lovely hotel for anyone - business, families, groups. With lovely gardens and restaurant and the price is right.

If you're working with a tour operator they can arrange your meet/greet at JKIA for tranfer to hotel. And, for next morning to Wilson.

If booking on your own, ask the hotel if they can arrange the meet/greet and transfers.

Visitors do these transfers daily - between airports and to/from hotels. All very ordinary.

New Zealand
3. Re: Spending one night in Nairobi

Thank you for the replies. I have contacted the Fairview, made a reservation, and faxed them my credit card info (I did not want to email my credit card info), but now I have not heard back from anyone there in a few days. I don't even know if they received my fax, which means that my credit card info could be floating around somewhere in Nairobi.

It's a little disappointing that they don't have a secure way to make a reservation and also that their correspondence skills are somewhat lacking.

nyc
4. Re: Spending one night in Nairobi

If you haven't heard/received confirmation to your fax, send them an email and inquire whether they received it. That your reservation is confirmed.

It's not unusual that system servers are down, or being their low-season, they're at minimum staffing.

New Zealand
5. Re: Spending one night in Nairobi

I have sent them a couple of emails seeking confirmation that they received my fax. Still no replies. Perhaps you are right and the system is down.

6. Re: Spending one night in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 28, 2009