We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi airports

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leamington Spa...
reviews: 1
Nairobi airports

I am booking a safari in Tanzania and am looking at flying from the UK via Nairobi.

The connecting flight from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro is fully booked but I have found a suitable alternative from Nairobi Wilson airport with Air Kenya.

This gives me about 7 hours to get between Jomo Kenyatta International and Wilson.

I understand that I will need a transit visa, but how much hastle is this likely to be, considering that I am on my honeymoon and not backpacking!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated...

Kenya
reviews: 4
1. Re: Nairobi airports

Hi, 7 hours is more than enough to cover the distance between Jomo Kenyatta Airport and Wilson Airport.

nyc
2. Re: Nairobi airports

7/hrs is more than sufficient time.

Have you arranged transfer between NBO/JKIA -intl airport to Wilson - domestic airport? Though you can always take a taxi.

When you deplane from the UK, just purchase a Transit Visa, at USD$30, collect your bags and transfer to Wilson. In fact, you have time to do some sightseeing in/around Nairobi, i.e. Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe Center and at 11am the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, even lunch... then to Wilson for your 12:40 or 1pm flight to JRO.

REMEMBER/IMPORTANT - As you will be landing and transiting thru Nairobi before arriving JRO, you WILL require Yellow Fever inoculation and the yellow card as verification of same, for entry into Tanzania. Without the YF, someone at the Health Desk will give you the jab at cost of USD$50/person; I don't believe you wish to have this happen.

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
3. Re: Nairobi airports

It's no hassle getting a transit visa on arrival. With 7 hours, I'd also encourage doing some sightseeing before heading over to Wilson. You don't want to spend all that time just waiting at Wilson. You can arrange this with your tour operator or hire a taxi.

Kenya
reviews: 4
4. Re: Nairobi airports

Hi Patty, you are very right. Animal orpahnage(safari walk) is just past the wilson airport.

London, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Nairobi airports

Though they're virtually next door to each other I would recommend the Safari walk over the other but for a few dollars more you might get a quick game drive in the Nairobi Park and it's all just a matutu driver from Wilson Airport

London
6. Re: Nairobi airports

i agree with the above but you can also book a shuttle to tanzania and its a 5 hrs drive instead of flying which is also fine with all the scenery

7. Re: Nairobi airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:24 am, September 28, 2009