We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for Singles???

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Folkestone, United...
reviews: 89
Safe for Singles???

My friend and I are planning a safari holiday to Kenya whereby she will leave after 4 days and I shall then spend the following week alone in Nairobi. Can anyone recommend a safe, reasonably priced hotel/hostel with a nice pool to chill out by??? Many thanks

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 28
1. Re: Safe for Singles???

Hi

i cant give you any help reg hotels in Nairobi but i can say you will be safe unless your stupid. It is just like any strange/unknown place you may visit, you use common sense.

While Nairobi does have some crime problems i have visited twice and had no problems. I wouldnt go wandering off after dark to places i dont know ans stick to popular places with plenty people around.

To be honest if possible spend the week in Mombasa as you will be fine there no matter where you go.

Im sure others will give you more/better info in time.

nyc
2. Re: Safe for Singles???

Though Nairobi is safe enough as indicated above, why spend 1/week in a city? Cities are nice, but when you go to East Africa, while there is sightseeing in/around Nairobi to occupy a few days, most visitors prefer safari rather than sitting around a hotel pool.

Assume on the 4/days with your friend you'll be doing safari; if so, where? So, why not use some of the week to continue safari elsewhere.

What interests do you have - animals, cultural, other - that can be used to accomplish this? What kind of budget do you have. It's perfectly safe for a solo traveler.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: Safe for Singles???

I agree!! Why spend a week by a pool in Nairobi? There is a lot to do and many things and places to see.

On your own, you can get around very safely by taxi. People here will recommend good reliable taxis and I have the one I use as well!! By UK standards, taxis are cheap!! You can get one for a whole day, with a limit in mileage (say 100km) at around £50.

You'd receive a warm welcome at a school for needy children, as well as the usual tourist activities.

Folkestone, United...
reviews: 89
4. Re: Safe for Singles???

Thanks guys/girls for the info - yes we're doing a 4 day safari out to the Masai Mara and after I shall probably take ur advice and head down to Mombassa for the rest of the week on the beach. Anyone recommend any reasonable hotels down that way??? Rough price of return airfare from Nairobi to Mombassa??? Any further info would be much appreciated! Many thanks.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
5. Re: Safe for Singles???

Try www.fly540.com

London, United...
reviews: 13
6. Re: Safe for Singles???

I agree in principal with the others that on your own a week in Nairobi is pointless - but don't dismiss it as there is still plenty to do there and you need at least 3 days to give it the attention needed. As for Hotel with pool I'm afraid I don't actually know as I stay with my wife at our plaace in nairobi but if you look throught the hotels for Nairobi in hotels and accomodation I'm sure you will find one to suit. Is Nairobi safe for singles -mallamombasa got it right there use your brain, don't do anything silly and you'll be fine

London
7. Re: Safe for Singles???

wen i was in kenya our guide used to tell us that Nairobi is safe throughout the day as long as you avoid carrying money or expensive rings,at night from Moi Avenue going up is totally safe bt the doing the side of bus terminus is not safe...use ur head and don't do anything stupid.

Ellesmere Port...
8. Re: Safe for Singles???

As mentioned on previous posts, Nairobi is safe unless your stupid.

Take sensible precautions :-

Don't walk around at night on your own.

If you have to go out somewhere eg Carnivore, ask the hotel staff to call you a taxi and get them to negotiate the price for you.

When you return from Carnivore, ask the hotel waiters to do the same for you.

If you fancy going to a pub eg Zanze Bar on Moi Ave, ask one of the hotel askari (security guards) to come with you and buy them a couple of Tusker for their trouble.

Ideally choose a hotel / hostel that has a decent bar in it like Milimani Backpackers on Milimani Road and you won't have to leave at night.

Milimani Road, PO Box 21005, Nairobi, 00500, Kenya

Phone: + 254 (0) 20-272 4827

Mobile: + 254 (0) 722-347616

info@milimanibackpackers.com

www.milimanibackpackers.com

Ask for Patricia!

During the day time keep an eye out for pick pockets.

Don't wear anything that you aren't prepared to throw or give away if you are mugged.

Don't wear anything that could be thought of as expensive - even costume jewelry. - A local guy in Nanyuki wanted my £5 watch from Asda off me, coz it looked expensive! My £1 sunglasses from a UK market looked expensive to locals !!! - get the point!!!

Wear a money belt - but don't put all your money & cards in it. Put some in it, so that if you are mugged, they will think they have taken all your money from you. Keep the rest in your socks etc.

Treat all people politely and with respect. And most importantly - SMILE , YOU'RE IN AFRICA!!! :-)

Traveling
9. Re: Safe for Singles???

Didn't have a good time at Milimani Backpackers. The smell inside the house is horrible, smells of rats and one night they actually moved our dorm to an other room. But the smell was still horrible. The bar was empty, couldn't even get a beer. Checked out and moved to the new Upperhill, clean and way cheaper then the Backpackers place.

10. Re: Safe for Singles???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 28, 2009