We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nairobi to mombasa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
nairobi to mombasa

hello, we are spending some time travelling in kenya for the first time, what is the best way to get to and from nairobi-mombasa we want to go by bus or train if safe and how long does it take/cost?

thanks

victoria

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 28
1. Re: nairobi to mombasa

Hi

i dont know if the train is still running as it was being taken over by a south african company. the train is an experience in itself. imagine travelling by train in the Uk in 1880 then thats what you have.

as for buses there are alot between nairobi and mombasa. it takes around 7/8 hours from memory and costs around £10/12. if you go by day you can see alot of the countryside which is nice.

try and choose one of the better companies/buses. inter city travel in kenya is very cheap.

train and bus is pretty safe unless your stupid, just like anywhere else.

use the search on here for info about train, theres plenty on it.

Augsburg, Germany
reviews: 5
2. Re: nairobi to mombasa

Hi,

if your budget will allow it and you are looking for the most comfortable and effective way - take a flight from Nairobi to Mombasa and back.

By plane it will take about 45 minutes and by road about 8-9 hours. There are some newer busses.

From my knowledges, the trains started at 19.oo in the evening and you will reach Mombasa between 9.00 and 10.00 o`clock.

At the moment as i know, they still don't operate, but it is planned, that they will start soon again.

With the costs, i cannot help you, because we never used the bus or train. But i think there are many here who can help you.

Bye

Chrissy

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
3. Re: nairobi to mombasa

Info on the train can be found at: http://www.seat61.com/Kenya.htm

Its a great experience but don't plan anything around the time table as its notorious for breaking down/being late - not by minute or even hours, but days! Stock up on supplies too as when it breaksdown it soon runs out of drinks.

London, United...
reviews: 13
4. Re: nairobi to mombasa

Must be my turn re trains and buses

the mtrain - wonderful idea but unfortunately totally unreliable but the buses fal into both fully safe and reliable and competing with the train for unreliability. Yes some of the buses aren't safe but dont worry there are plenty of safe ones too So here goes

Nairobi - Mombasa

My Kenyan wife and I use Mash as preferred then Akamba other safe ones are Randa and Coast - for more details go to igougo.com click on to Kenya and read my piece entitled Coaching it Nairobi - Mombasa -also the train trip that never was both found under Harv_y

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 73
5. Re: nairobi to mombasa

best way victoria is by air...kenya airways or flight 540 are the most frequent.

train used to be fun but facilities are pathetic and roads are not so safe these days - not to mention 12 hour delayes due to diversions...

ofcourse air flights can be delayed by 3 - 4 hours these days due to over-booking so get a good travel agent to secure bookings..

this past saturday the run-way lights stopped working at the mombasa airport so all flights were cancelled...so expect anything and give allowance for delays ..this is africa!;o)

London
6. Re: nairobi to mombasa

Traveling by train is a life time experience as it takes you back in time and you also get a chance to see much of the coastal landscape as you arrive there around 1100hrs in the morning.

But you should book in advance to avoid disappointment.

London, United...
reviews: 13
7. Re: nairobi to mombasa

with the train booking in advance makes no difference if they cancel and then lie about when the next one will be and the coaches they will use to transfer you instead. the buses are more reliable, and cheaper than the train and you still get to see the Kenyan countryside

Manchester
reviews: 7
8. Re: nairobi to mombasa

Are the trains Steam or Electric?

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 34
9. Re: nairobi to mombasa

Rickety old diesel running on rickety old tracks.

10. Re: nairobi to mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 26, 2009