We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody know cheapest way to get clothing to orphanage outsi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 3
Anybody know cheapest way to get clothing to orphanage outsi

My daughter and I are travelling to Kenya early June and spending some time at an orphanage outside Nairobi which is run by a friend of mine from Sydney. We have been collecting donations of soccer kits, including boots,to have sent out to the children at the orphnage and the local school (as everyone knows Kenyans are crazy about soccer). The airline we are flying with will not give us extra baggage allowance, so am now wondering if anyone can help with advice, ideas, connections as to the cheapest way to transport around 20-30 kgs of clothing to Nairobi. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: Anybody know cheapest way to get clothing to orphanage outsi

I am afraid there is no easy answer for you ..your options are a small container/frieght box...

and send it overseas...whether it reaches you and the Oprphanage can afford to pay the customs to release what is left of your goods is something to consider..

I assume to pay extra luggage is not an option?

Sometimes the scheduled Airlines offer lower priced allowances for pre booking...

Another option is to ask everyone who gave something to you to donate a dollar or so toward taking on the plane.

My advice for - for what it is worth - is DONT SEND IT --the chances of these gifts reaching their destination is very slim indeed..

or the import tax is far too high ot consider and will defeat your gesture.

Without being rude may I suggest you limit your personal clothes...there are excellent laundry services very cheap .and then more of your gifts can be brought with you...

Your gifts are far too tempting to be sent

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 10
2. Re: Anybody know cheapest way to get clothing to orphanage outsi

Last year I took over an additional 50 Lbs of school supplies with me.

Prior to leaving I contact the two airlines I was with and asked them to permit me a 3rd piece of luggate (the school supplies) without charging me due to the contents and gave them an explanation as to what I was doing.

They sent me a letter (from each airline), that gave me permission to have a 3rd piece of luggage without charge.

With the weight more than what I carried on, you may want to contact the cargo phone # of the airlines to work with them on it.

Perhaps if you contact the airline(s) prior to you leaving, they will give you a break too.

Georgina

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: Anybody know cheapest way to get clothing to orphanage outsi

I'm afraid Drakes Drum's advice is absolutely correct.

My extra advice would be:

Leave the soccer boots behind - I assume they are the heaviest items. Many kids here play in bare feet anyway! (Bring some money to buy second hand boots if they are needed.)

Wear as much as you can of your own clothes (DD has very good advice on this too!!!). Keep the weight of your own things as low as you can. Eg - no need to carry soap etc.

Go to the Airport overweight. Talk nicely to the check in person and say why you are taking all that stuff (if asked). You never know - the next person in line may be under weight. The chances of your getting through with all you have is very high. (I've only once had problems and that was in Switzerland!!) Whoever takes you to the Airport should carry a bag to take items home. If they see you are serious you may well be let through!

And of course you can pay for XS baggage!

Please don't post anything. I've even lost books in the mail.

The recipients have to pay a charge for presentation to Customs, then tax and VAT.... The total can be more than the value of the things - if they arrive at all.

Second hand clothes are very easy to buy here and cheap.

It is heart-breaking when folks want to bring things to give away.

You could also try appealing to the top Management of the Airline and you can point out that Kenya Airways gives two bags of 23kg each from UK.

4. Re: Anybody know cheapest way to get clothing to orphanage outsi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 25, 2009