We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Nairobi-Please help

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 9
Moving to Nairobi-Please help

Hi there,

I am from the U.S and plan to move to Nairobi for work in a few months. This has been one of my dreams and I'm very excited about the prospect. I picked Nairobi although my job is very flexible and I could pretty much live anywhere I want in Africa. If you have any suggestions about other countries, please let me know.

My biggest concern is finding a place to live in a SAFE AREA that is AFFORDABLE. If you can be kind enough to give some information on HOUSING, I would be grateful. I basically want to know where I should start my search.

I don't have to commute a lot because most of my work will be done at home and abroad. However, I do want to live in a place where it is close to the "center" simply because I want to see and enjoy the city other than work. My budget for accommodation is between 500-700 dollars. Is that enough??

I guess I will go to Nairobi and stay in a hotel for the first week while looking for a place at the same time. Nonetheless, it would be helpful to know where to look.

So whatever you can tell me, I sincerely thank you.

nyc
1. Re: Moving to Nairobi-Please help

Are you working for a company out of Nairobi or elsewhere in Kenya? If so, they should be able to advise/direct you for services you will need during your employ, including housing.

I can't comment on rental costs, but do like the areas in Karen and the new Lavington (right next door to Karen). Lots of building going on in the latter. Others live in the areas of the US and UK Embassies. None of these are all that close to "center city", though the first two are somewhat closer. Can't comment on public transport, i.e., bus schedules, but there are matatus (shared mini-vans), if you're adventurous.

Go online and Google the newspapers in Kenya, and check for their Real Estate sections.

Post back here with any results.

Dartford, United...
reviews: 26
2. Re: Moving to Nairobi-Please help

As I probably couldn't afford to live where the embassies are situated, nor Muthaiga where Kibaki has a place, my next choice would be Lavington. You can find a lot of apartments that have security. Check out this site, it gives you the rental values in whatever currency you want:

www.propertykenya.com

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
3. Re: Moving to Nairobi-Please help

Try this company......

http://www.hassconsult.co.ke/restolet.html

Where ever you rent make sure you have good trusted security. A lot of robberies are inside jobs.

Have you a work permit? Don't be tempted to work without one as you risk being deported.

Los Angeles
4. Re: Moving to Nairobi-Please help

Thank you everyone for your help. Your comments are very helpful. Best.

Los Angeles
5. Re: Moving to Nairobi-Please help

Los Angeles
6. Re: Moving to Nairobi-Please help

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 68
7. Re: Moving to Nairobi-Please help

jambo and karibu!(hi & welcome)

have a look at this site..its fab and gives u lots of info ..

http://www.kenyabuzz.com/

your budget is fine for a one-two bedroom flat in a good residential area - look for state house, milimani, hurlingham - all close to the city.

then there is kilimani area close to yaya shopping mall. westlands is also a 'biz centre' and there are tonnes of flats there..

all the best & feel free to ask for any more help u need...i know nairobi inside out! ;o)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
8. Re: Moving to Nairobi-Please help

Sweetwaters - that's a really useful website packed with info. Thanks for that.

9. Re: Moving to Nairobi-Please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 23, 2009