We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Nairobi prior to Safari

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
2 days in Nairobi prior to Safari

Hi,

I am doing a safari in September starting in Nairobi. All the reports of the meeting place i.e. Hotel Boulevard are pretty horrid.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced decent hotel I can use for the two nights prior to the safari. Also, would traffic be bad on a Sunday morning? I will have to get from hotel to meeting point by 0830.

Any suggestions for must sees I can do in these two days...

My safari takes me firstly to Masai Mara then Kisumu then accross to Uganda (gorilla trek) then back to Kenya, Lake Nakuru National Park, Lake Naivasha and back to Nairobi.

What are the chances of seeing any of the migration?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestion. :-)

Manchester
reviews: 7
1. Re: 2 days in Nairobi prior to Safari

I understand that the migration starts in late July early August and continues to the end of September as more and more animals make the crossing and at times go forwards and backwards. However, it is also slightly different each year depending on conditions.

We are going in early August but I believe you are just as likely to see the spectacle in Spetember.

We also are spending 2 nights in Nairobi between stays in Tsavo and L. Nakuru. After the Flamingos we then go to the Mara.

We shortlisted several places to stay in Nairobi but wanted to avoid the City centre. The places we looked at were more expensive than stopping in the Nairobi hotels but we were looking for something a bit different. Unfortunately because we are going in peak season we could not get in our first 3 choices, I believe they had mostly been reserved for tour operators packages and this was 12 months ahead. However following the 'troubles' we have had one or two emails offering cancellations. There may be more availability for September.

The places we couldnt get in (in order of preference) were Giraffe Manor, House of Waine and Ngong House. Giraffe Manor is next door to the Giraffe Centre and has Giraffes roaming the grounds and joining you for dinner apparently, great for the kids (and the bigger kids). House of Waine and Ngong House are 'boutique hotels' and very up market. We eventually managed to book Karen Blixen Cottages which were slightly cheaper but just as convenient for everywhere we wanted to visit. All of the above have web sites if you search for them.

Our criteria was to find somewhere outside of the City centre but close to the airport, the Giraffe centre, Bomas of Kenya, Carnivore restaurant and the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, all of which we intend visiting. Also nearby is Nairobi Game Reserve and Karen Blixens House. I think you will find that all of these are high up on the agenda for any visits to Nairobi and from a base in Karen it is possible to 'do' all of these over a couple of days before moving on.

If you can't find the websites let me know as I have them somewhere.

nyc
2. Re: 2 days in Nairobi prior to Safari

Sunday morning has less traffic, it's the 1/day most are off from work, but you still have to leave yourself sufficient time to get from Point A to Point B.

Probably more expensive than Boulevard, but not as high as those hotels Steve mentions above, consider:

The Fairview

- or their new Country Club (on the same grounds, believe lower price [or is it higher?])

The Stanley

The Intercontinental

The Hilton

with the last three, easy to walk around town during the daytime hours and perfectly safe.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
3. Re: 2 days in Nairobi prior to Safari

Thanks Steve! Once I looked at Giraffe Manor I don't want to stay anywhere else, unfortunately, it is a little more than the budget can handle at this stage... sob.. sob.. If I had seen it in initial stages of my planning I would have worked my trip around it, now deposits have been paid etc. Kenya is in the middle of a six week adventure starting in Cairo and ending in Joburg. You have given me some more ideas of things to do and see though..

4Sandi thank you also, I believe your suggestions are more in keeping with my budget and are pretty much what I had been looking at but was unsure whether to go with instints (which are generally pretty good), the Fairview seems to be top of a lot of lists I have looked at.

Again thank you both.... I feel I may be planning a return trip just to stay at the Manor...hmmmmm.

Happy travels! ;-)

Manchester
reviews: 7
4. Re: 2 days in Nairobi prior to Safari

Off Again Yeah. Can you let me know your ideas for the Cairo to Kenya itinerary? We have our big adventure for Kenya planned and booked for 2008 and we are now looking at 'doing' the full length of the Nile down to Lake Victoria and stopping off to see everything worthwhile along the way.

caligornia
reviews: 3
5. Re: 2 days in Nairobi prior to Safari

I love the country lodge! It was $100 very clean and comfy with breakfast in the morning. Its on the same grounds as the fairview, so you just walk over to those restaurants. However, if you have it in your budget to spend a bit more, maybe you could go with the fairview! Either one is good.

6. Re: 2 days in Nairobi prior to Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 23, 2009