We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation during my safari trip

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo
reviews: 30
Accommodation during my safari trip

I Shall go to the following places during my safari trip to Kenya next October. Please I need the experts help to give me the names of the best hotels (best sight seeings) at these places:

Mount Kenya

Samburu

Sweet Waters

Lake Nakuru

Maasai Mara

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Accommodation during my safari trip

Within Mt Kenya NP is Serena Mountain Lodge which is a waterhole viewing lodge. You don't go on game drives here but rather view from the lodge. I believe they do conduct forest walks as well.

Samburu has a variety of accommodation in difference price ranges. Did you have a budget in mind? The lodges (Samburu Game Lodge, Serena, Sopa) tend to be lower priced than the tented camps (Intrepids, Larsens, Elephant Watch, Elephant Bedroom). As Samburu/Buffalo Springs reserves are fairly small, I don't feel there's any really bad location. There are two high end camps (Saruni, Sasaab) located outside of the reserve.

Sweetwaters is a private reserve with Sweetwaters Tented Camp and Ol Pejeta House. Between the two, I'd choose the camp because of the waterhole. Beyond the borders of Sweetwaters reserve on Ol Pejeta Conservancy (Sweetwaters is a reserve contained within Ol Pejeta), there's also the newish Porini Rhino Camp. I haven't heard much about it, but the other Porini camps get very favorable reviews.

Within Lake Nakuru NP are two lodges (Lion Hill and Lake Nakuru Lodge) and one tented camp (Flamingo Hill). Just outside the park is Mbweha Camp located on its own conservancy area. Again depends on budget with the lodges being lower priced.

Too many camps and lodges in the Mara to really name without knowing your budget and preferences. The Serena Lodge is well located and I believe is the only accommodation inside the reserve to offer night game drives. Normally night game drives are only conducted outside of national reserve and park boundaries.

This directory lists the camps and lodges in Kenya organized by location with links to their websites http://www.safari-portal.de/Lodging.KE.d.html

nyc
2. Re: Accommodation during my safari trip

Chess master -

It would be so much easier for replies if you'd keep all the posts regarding this trip under one thread. You currently have posted about 6-7 different threads on this subject. Kind of difficult for those of us replying to keep jumping back and forth to see we're not repeating ourselves.

Patty has give you excellent information, but you have to provide an idea of budget, whether driving (for the above most would be driving) or flying some legs.

Have you contacted a tour operator or in-country outfitter? They should be able to assist with a preliminary itinerary, places to stay and projected budget. Are you traveling solo? With a partner (# of paxs), want a group or independent trip? All of which you have to provide whomever is going to offer an itinerary. You can then post here on this thread and we can comment.

3. Re: Accommodation during my safari trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 22, 2009