We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week to explore area

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
1 week to explore area

In November we're hopefully doing some charity work for 1 week in Nairobi helping to build a school for children with aids.

We would like to spend a week after exploring. Where are the the best and safest places to go within this timeframe? We are good backpackers and are used to roughing it but want to make sure we are safe and make the most of our time.

Telford, Shropshire
reviews: 66
1. Re: 1 week to explore area

I'm assuming you're limited to Nairobi? Do you have cash to spare/what's the budget?

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
2. Re: 1 week to explore area

With a week, don't limit yourself to Nairobi! I'd definitely suggest you get out of Nairobi.

We trust things will have cooled down by November and all will be back to normal.

Do you have priorities - places, people, wildlife, beach???

If you have enough money and not time, consider flying. You can fly from Nairobi to Eldoret and go down the Kerio Valley by matatu.... Or to Kisumu and Lake Victoria, Kakamega Forest....

Look on these fora for many ideas.

London, United...
reviews: 13
3. Re: 1 week to explore area

Naivasha & Nakuru are within travelling distance if they are now safe - others will tell for sure. But In Nairobi thee is still I believe enough to fill a week's spare time. Bird walk wednesday mornings from outside the National Museum @ 8.30am. Also in this vicinity you have the national Museaum and the reptile place just about 200yards away. In the and near the city centre you have The Nationa Archives (put an afternoon aside for this - well at least a couple of hours)and the Railway Museum and this is before we start adding things like Nairobi National Park, Animal Orphanage, Safari Walk, Giraffe Sanctuary, Karen Blick House this list goes on and on.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
4. Re: 1 week to explore area

I may be a bit biased, but I feel just remaining in Nairobi doesn't give the best picture of Kenya as a whole. It is a land of amazing contrasts - from the Coast to the cooler heights. From lush farmland to desert. From well dressed, seemingly rich, people to the desperately poor and needy.

You can cross the Equator at over 9000ft and feel cold up there!! You can swim in pools fed by hot springs.........

I am a "people person" - most Kenyans are warm hearted and friendly. In your charity work, you are very likely to see needs which may make you a bit uncomfortable doing some touristy things!! If I were you, I'd not make too many plans in advance, unless you want to book a safari. (In that case you can get much advice on this forum.)

TIA (This Is Africa) and last minute decisions are the norm, unless it it booking a popular hotel or safari!

Wales
5. Re: 1 week to explore area

Nowt wrong with Nairobi its easy to get stuck there as well. I remeber in 1992 I arrived there planning to go overland to Zimbabwe and back via Malawi Zambia and Tanzania and Burundi 6 weeks later I was still in Nairobi. Coming back I skipped Burundi to spend more time in Nairobi.

6. Re: 1 week to explore area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, September 23, 2009