We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM's at airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
ATM's at airport

Hi all - are there ATM's readily available to withdraw cash in arrival at Kenya Intl airport? Trying to cut down on US dollars cash I need to pre-arrange.

Thanx

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
1. Re: ATM's at airport

Yes there are but it will cheaper to get your dollars in the uk, you will get charged for using your card in kenya, why dollars ? I,d take sterling, good exchange rate especially for cash

London, United...
2. Re: ATM's at airport

Agreed Smudger although it costs only £1.50 to withdraw using a DEBIT card (regardless of amount withdrawn) and you get the proper exchange rate.

I don't recommend having to much cash on ones person especially when trecking around cities such as Nairobbery (Nairobi).

London, United...
reviews: 13
3. Re: ATM's at airport

I sort of agree with the experts, that you should indeed take sterling with you and change it there as you get a better exchange rate. However you still need to take Dollars for things like The Animal Orphanage or the Nairobi Safari Walk, they will let you pay in local currency if you insist but the exchange rate is atrocious.

My suggestion most of it in Sterling - take about $100 per person and chang about £50-100 at the airport into shillings and change the rest from Sterling into Shilings as you need to. Yes do bother traipsing round the little square of about 20 odd Bureaus coz that way you will find the good deal - usually in one of these 3 Bay-next to The Stanley, Crown -near the Hilton and Capital - Wabera Street -almost next door to Akamba booking office

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
4. Re: ATM's at airport

Oops ! I should have known better ! dollars are needed as well if you are getting your visa in country, must be my old age ! we do tend to use sterling a lot out there, I do take my cards as well just in case

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
5. Re: ATM's at airport

There is at least one ATM (Barclays) airside and once past custom in the arrivals hall, there are 2 ATMs - another Barclays and I think the other may be a Standard Chartered. Max withdrawal per transaction on the Barclays is 40,000 KES.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
6. Re: ATM's at airport

Warning - some cards can't get 40000/- Mine only gives 20000/-. (LloydsTSB Debit Card). If the machine offers a maximum withdrawal of less, then try another machine!

Scotland
reviews: 5
7. Re: ATM's at airport

You don't need dollars to buy a visa on arrival at the airport - Sterling is fine and the visa is cheaper!

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 9
8. Re: ATM's at airport

Have the prices changed?

It used to be £35 or USD50 for a Visa. At the current exchange rate (c$2:£1) it has to be cheaper (by c£10) to get it in USD.

Chris

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 9
9. Re: ATM's at airport

The Visa is still $50..... or £30 stirling...

dollars are cheaper..

watch out at barclays...they took 300/- from the £100

to exchange sheer robbery....

Western Union are good..

London, United...
10. Re: ATM's at airport

A Visa used to cost £35 in the days when £1 = 100Ksh but now due the the stronger £ which is now about 120Ksh the Visa cost has been reduced to £30.