We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Airport Safety & Air France

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Nairobi Airport Safety & Air France

We leave for our trip to Tanzania and Rwanda this Saturday (2/2/08)and fly through Nairobi (NBO) on 3 seperate occasions, the first being Monday Feb 4th. We are not leaving the airport and are just transiting through. With the recent surge in violence we are extremely concerned about just transiting through the airport. Any info that anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Our last flight returns via NBO on Feb 21st and we have to spend 15+ hours in the airport. originally we were planning on taking a day tour but with recent events we've canceled that. We tried to change our return flight to go from Dar to Paris instead of Nairobi to Paris. Air France is only willing to waive the change fee (200 USD) and will still charge us $450 USD per person to change each ticket. Has anyone had any luck with changing Air France flights because of the unrest? They are extremely difficult to deal with.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Thousand Oaks...
reviews: 65
1. Re: Nairobi Airport Safety & Air France

The airport is far removed from the city and is very secure. You are safe there and it is highly unlikely that there would ever be any problems at the airport at all. On the return, you could go out to the Panari for you layover. It is still far from the city and will still be safe. Unless the country falls all the way down into full out civil war I would not pay for the change. I went through the airport last week and you would never know there was anything going on at all.

Safe travels.

Northern California
reviews: 57
2. Re: Nairobi Airport Safety & Air France

I agree with xbioman. The international airport has secured perimeters & a control station with armed guards on the road in and out of the airport. The airport is very small by US/European international airport standards. In my opinion, your biggest problem in the airport will be boredom. Take a good book/charge your ipod.

nyc
3. Re: Nairobi Airport Safety & Air France

The airport is safe; roads to/from are safe. The nearby Panari Hotel is an option for a room, swim, manicure, meals - only 10/min from the airport.

There are many recent reports that even in Nairobi, it's quiet and safe. Tourists aren't the object of the rioters.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
4. Re: Nairobi Airport Safety & Air France

I came through Nairobi JKIA last week with absolutely no problems at all. Friends from Nairobi came to meet me and to pick up some things I had brought from overseas. Again, no problems.

I agree with all the other replies. See my post "Safely back in Western Kenya".

5. Re: Nairobi Airport Safety & Air France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 19, 2009