We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where can you fly to/from nairobi?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kiev, Ukraine
where can you fly to/from nairobi?

im trying to book a round the world tour that includes nairobi, however the only place that seems to fly to there is London.

Which is alright on my initial depart from london to nairobi, but when it comes to flying on it hard to find a place that the plane can fly to that doesnt include heathrow

this is because i cant backtrack on the flight tickets, once i fly from heathrow i have to keep going either west or east

I know it sounds daft but almost all the flights go through heathrow

so where do you fly from and which carrier do you use? Many thanks if you can help

UK
reviews: 30
1. Re: where can you fly to/from nairobi?

From London, there are 3 scheduled airlines flying to Nairobi.....BA, Virgin and Kenya Airways.

Most European capitals have flights to Nairobi.

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
2. Re: where can you fly to/from nairobi?

Which round the world ticket product are you looking at? There RTW products offered by each of the major alliances - Oneworld, Star Alliance & Skyteam. And then there are various non-alliance RTW products on different mixes of carriers. Where you can and can't transit will be dependent on the ticket you purchase, but here are some airlines that offer service to Nairobi:

Kenya Airways (Skyteam) - from London, Amsterdam or Paris (3x weekly) and then to Dubai, Mumbai, or Bangkok to avoid backtracking (though Skyteam RTW does allow backtracking within a continent). Take a look at their routemap http://www.kenya-airways.com/routemap.html

KLM (Skyteam) - from Amsterdam

Delta (Skyteam) - starting June 2008, from New York or Atlanta via Dakar (4x weekly)

BA (Oneworld) - from London, I think the Oneworld Explorer RTW also allows backtracking within each continent so you could head down to Johannesburg (surface segment at your own expense) and take Qantas or Cathay Pacific flights westward from Johannesburg to Australia or Asia .

SWISS (Star Alliance) - from Zurich (non-daily)

South Africa Airways (Star Alliance) - from Johannesburg

With Star Alliance, you could take SWISS from Zurich and if you don't have a stopover in Johannesburg but rather continue westward (for example, Johannesburg to Singapore on Singapore Airlines), I'm pretty sure this would not be considered backtracking (even though Johannesburg is east of Nairobi) since you're not actually stopping.

On the Oneworld and Star Alliance websites, you can download software for planning RTW itineraries that will guide you through what you can/can't do, track mileage flown, etc. These are very helpful in planning.

Then there are non-alliance airlines that have RTW products (either on their own or in combination with other airlines) such as Virgin Atlantic which flies from London. Emirates is another non-alliance airline that flies from Dubai. I think there are a few other Middle East carriers that have service to Nairobi. I'm probably missing some other options. You'd have to search for a non-alliance RTW product that had a combination of airlines that would work (not sure if this exists).

Each product has its own rules so it does get a bit complicated trying to figure out what works best. For additional information, I'd advise you to visit the Global Airline Alliances forums on Flyertalk.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: where can you fly to/from nairobi?

Just looking from a lay person's perspective, you can fly from Nairobi to Addis Ababa, or Cairo. Also India, Bangkok etc....

Dar es Salaam is also East of Nairobi, I think - I don't have a world map handy.

I use Ethiopian Airways sometimes. Kenya Airways also does the above routes.

Kiev, Ukraine
4. Re: where can you fly to/from nairobi?

many thanks for the ideas

i think i can use cathay, quantas, american, british, royal jordanian

sadly i dont think id want to go through cairo

if you want to go to anywhere in europe you have to go through heathrow :(

the only way i can do it is to start the trip in helsinki, and end it in london

if i could get directly from nairobi to the states or china or australia or southern africa it would be so much easier

nyc
5. Re: where can you fly to/from nairobi?

As they say "you can't get there from here."

Lots of us are waiting for a true non-stop from the States to NBO.

You've got to be flexible. And, Patty gave you lots of options.

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
6. Re: where can you fly to/from nairobi?

It sounds like you're being offered a Oneworld RTW product. The only Oneworld carrier that serves Nairobi is BA. As I mentioned, you could at your own extra expense fly down to Johannesburg and continue on your RTW ticket to Asia or Australia from there or you could look into other RTW products that would make it easier to incorporate Nairobi. Good luck!

Kiev, Ukraine
7. Re: where can you fly to/from nairobi?

thats a great idea, instead of messing around and starting off in paris etc i could just pay seperately for a flight to johannesburg

sadly i have to use oneworld as it fits so perfectly with the rest of the itinerary

the only problem areas are nairobi and rio.

many thanks patty ill change the itinerary accordingly! :0)

8. Re: where can you fly to/from nairobi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, September 11, 2009