We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

purchase of meds in Kenya

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
purchase of meds in Kenya

We're planning a trip to Kenya/Uganda late Nov, early Dec. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy malaria tablets upon arrival in either country? They're very expensive to buy them from home so hit upon the idea of buy some to get started and then pick up the majority once there. Anyone know if this is feasible?

wales uk
reviews: 2
1. Re: purchase of meds in Kenya

Hi There

Yes these are available in Kenya and I payed about £5 for 150 Dioxycycline tablets in Mombasa and they had Malarone for about £1 per tablet.

These were genuine tablets and not generic which were also available at a lower price.

I hope that this helps and please pm me if I can be of any further help

All the best

Jason

nyc
2. Re: purchase of meds in Kenya

But, these pills have to be started prior arriving in the affected area. If Doxcy or Malarone, at least 2/days prior; if Lariam, 1/wk prior.

There was an earlier thread, believe something "to jab or not for Yellow Fever" - which listed a few sites where Malarone can be obtained at lower prices in the UK.

Brussels, Belgium
3. Re: purchase of meds in Kenya

Hi Rus,

when are u planning on being in Uganda and where are u visiting,we shall be there from 9-23/11 between kampala and QE park where we are building a new community safari camp,maybe a pint if we x paths.

agy

UK
4. Re: purchase of meds in Kenya

Thanks guys, helpful and much appreciated.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
5. Re: purchase of meds in Kenya

It is very possible to buy a few before you fly and get the rest here in Kenya.

Malarone is not so easy, but doxycycline is very easy to get. I priced it at a good pharmacy in Kisumu and it was about £1 for 100 tabs. In Bungoma, it was 5/- per tab (under 5p).

Are you flying Kenya to Uganda? If you are going by road, let me know for some little advice. I live near the Kenya - Uganda border (Malaba crossing is our nearest).

UK
6. Re: purchase of meds in Kenya

Hi Asifiwe,

Thanks for your reply. We were planning to use doxycycline as opposed to malarone anyways so your tip was most useful.

We are planning to travel by road between Kenya and Uganda. We are planning on making Mbale our first stop in Uganda. Any advice you do have regarding the journey or border crossing would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
7. Re: purchase of meds in Kenya

Are you using public transport? The roads are pretty awful in places, but the buses and coaches seem to know how to handle them.

To Mbale, you'll cross at Malaba. I haven't been over for some time, but I gather the Tororo - Mbale Road is all right. Eldoret to the border is also fine (by our standards). Maybe by the time you come, the repairs on the main road from Nakuru will be finished!!

UK
8. Re: purchase of meds in Kenya

Hi,

We're planning on going by bus or coach, I've seen some good reccomendations of companies in our Bradt guide book.

I'd heard the roads were bad in places and so decided against self drive.

Many thanks for the reply and heads up, it helps to have input from someone there and with experience.

Laura

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
9. Re: purchase of meds in Kenya

You'd need to be very brave to drive in Kenya! Not sure if its the matatu drivers or the potholes that I fear most.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
10. Re: purchase of meds in Kenya

You can get Akamba from Nairobi to Kampala. To get to Mbale, you can go to Tororo, I think. Then a matatu to Mbale.

You can also try Easy Coach. It certainly goes to Bungoma and probably on to Malaba border. It has good security and special stopping places.

DON'T be tempted to use a night bus! Go by day - you need to see the countryside as well. You'll cross the Equator at over 9000ft between Nakuru and Eldoret.