We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes, heat and weather conditions for early December?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Martinville...
Mosquitoes, heat and weather conditions for early December?

Hoping for a trip to Nairobi for the first week of December '09. How bad are the mosquitoes and heat during that time of year? I live in southern Louisiana, USA. We have very humid, high 90's heat in the summer and two types of mosquitoes.....the tiny ones, that are so small they can fit through the screen door's holes......and the big ones, that just open the screen door and fly right in. Which kind does Nairobi have? :)

Irene

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
11. Re: Mosquitoes, heat and weather conditions for early December?

http://www.who.int/ith/countries/ken/en/

…cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh5-MalariaYellowF…

If you're coming from the US, it's not an endemic zone or area with risk of yellow fever transmission.

nyc
12. Re: Mosquitoes, heat and weather conditions for early December?

I've been traveling to Kenya 13/years and never required Yellow Fever inoculation. However, in '98 when passing from Kenya to Tanzania YF was a requirement, so got the inoc then. Even at that time, citizens of Tanzania living on the mainland, needed YF to go to Zanzibar Island.

As Patty mentions, if traveling direct to Kenya or Tanzania from Western countries, i.e., USA, Canada, Western Europe, which are not endemic for YF, you do not need a YF inoc. But, if traveling onward from these countries, do determine whether YF is required for entry at those destinations.

The YF requirements for travelers from such countries (above para) was lifted in '05.

Also, if ONLY traveling into NBO, you don't even need malaria meds, though most visitors will choose to take these. NBO is at 5,000' and chilly to downright cold at night. Mossie biting time is between dusk-to-dawn and mossies don't like height or cold.

Kalix, Sweden
reviews: 31
13. Re: Mosquitoes, heat and weather conditions for early December?

@ Irene

Don`t worry too much about the mosquitos!

On our first Kenya trip in early December 2005, we visited Nairobi, Mount Kenya, Samburu, Lake Nakuru, Masai Mara and the coast and the only place we encountered mosquitos were at Lake Nakuru, where I got ONE bite, that`s all. We didn`t SEE any mosquitos at all. Days were clear and sunny around +25 degrees on safari in the northern + central parks and around +30 degrees at the tropical coast, but it never felt too hot. We enjoyed going to Kenya during that time!

Have a wonderful trip!

Annika&Peter

Tenerife, Spain
reviews: 8
14. Re: Mosquitoes, heat and weather conditions for early December?

Hi Primoworks,

It is not compulsory for the Y F injection, but too safe guard yourself and loved ones, why not ?

Just in case there is an out break.

Is it not better to be safe than sorry ??

What is one extra injection ?

I hope you do have a good think about that 1, injection !

Taffy.

california
reviews: 9
15. Re: Mosquitoes, heat and weather conditions for early December?

Are you heading to the JW convention in Nairobi Kenya?

reviews: 15
16. Re: Mosquitoes, heat and weather conditions for early December?

--Interesting so many of us wishing to go to Kenya,,,,hope we all get to go.The official website,,,visit-kenya.com mentions yellow fever shots for those under 60. So maybe best to have them just in case and malaria pills in hand. The webisite is full of interesting information. A new warning for American citizens has been issued regarding terriorism which of course is all around us anywhere. Coming from OKC we can attest to that...Piersol

Saint Martinville...
17. Re: Mosquitoes, heat and weather conditions for early December?

Seems like a lot of us were hoping for Nairobi when the list came out. I forgot to check back because I decided to change plans to Lima, Peru as my first choice. Anyway, thanks to everyone for your answers. To those going to the conventions - I hope you get your first choice! ;)

18. Re: Mosquitoes, heat and weather conditions for early December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 28, 2009