We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport security.

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wirral
4 posts
airport security.

We are travelling to Kenya next year on a safari/beach holiday.We would like to take soft holdall bags for luggage but i've heard of robberies by the baggage handlers at the major airports.Has anyone had any experience of this or advice?We have been to Kenya twice but have only taken large hardshell cases,too heavy!!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
6,889 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: airport security.

In all the time that I've been visiting Kenya and taken tons of luggage in various bags and boxes (for schools and friends), I've never had anything taken. Is it just hearsay or an actual occurance?

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: airport security.

I come in and out at least twice a year and have never had a problem. I have also travelled with cardboard boxes tied up with good string, and even a gunia (plastic sugar sack).

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: airport security.

Never ever have we had anything stolen from the baggage handlers in Moi Airport, we also have arrived with various bits-n- bobs and everything has been intact!!!!!!!!!!!!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: airport security.

We've been all over the place and always with soft suitcases. For Kenya we used 1 of those (which was left in Nairobi while we went on safari), and 1 whopping holdall with wheels which had all our safair clobber in it.

International and internal flights, everything arrived everywhere intact.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: airport security.

I came in yesterday. One case and two soft bags. Absolutely no problem at all.

wirral
4 posts
6. Re: airport security.

Thanks for your input,we were leaning towards soft bags and your positive comments have convinced us.Looking forward to not carrying a ton of luggage when we go.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: airport security.

Arrived at JKIA 2 weeks ago and carrier [BA] had lost suitcase. I picked it up next day from the arrival area. No problems with security or contents of case missing.

8. Re: airport security.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, September 13, 2009