We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi help with taxi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 11
Nairobi help with taxi

We would like to visit the Sheldrick Trust and AEFW the giraffe centre - both attractions are fairly close to each other. Our hotel is in the westlands area Holiday Inn. How much very approximately would it be for taxi - say for 3 - 4 hours total. Pick up and wait outside and return to hotel.

We have been quoted £142 for transfer and entrance (that is total price for two people). Am thinking it might be cheaper and we would have more flexibiity by cab

Would really really welcome any advice on this. We only have one short day in Nairobi

Cheers

Brussels, Belgium
1. Re: Nairobi help with taxi

hi,

contact george at www.steenboksafaris.com i'm sure u will get a much better deal than that,in fact thats mega expensive.

agy

London
2. Re: Nairobi help with taxi

Thanks Agy

Tried to pull up that website with no sucess - kept being blocked by our firewall at work.Will try at home this weekend. Thanks for the advice on the restaurant too. JJ

Brussels, Belgium
3. Re: Nairobi help with taxi

try info@steenboksafaris.com and this one works

steenboksafaris@gmail.com

agy

Carmel, California
4. Re: Nairobi help with taxi

I paid 5500 shillings for a taxi for a full day last year.

Edinburgh
5. Re: Nairobi help with taxi

I also think that sounds like a vastly inflated price. We took a taxi from the Norfolk Hotel to the Giraffe Centre, waiting time (at least one hour) and then back to the Fairview Hotel. That cost us 3000 shillings (around £20).

I think entrance to the giraffe centre was around £5 equivalent per adult.

The hotel will probably have some trusted taxi drivers. They are usually very happy to do all day deals. I am sure you could do better than £142.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
6. Re: Nairobi help with taxi

5500/- for a taxi for the day - maximum mileage of 100km - is about right.

London
7. Re: Nairobi help with taxi

We stayed at the Holiday Inn with Kuoni in September and on arrival at the hotel the Kuoni rep sold us a trip to the Elephant Orphanage at about £20 per person travelling by minisbus and we just had to pay the compulsory donation to the orpanage (300 shillings each I think). We were given the opportunity of visiting the Giraffe Centre, and /or the Karen Blick museum the same afternoon at a small additional cost, so I'm sure the Holiday Inn could organise something for you, as there seemed to be many minibuses outside the rear of the hotel. A minibus was also organised to take 8 of us to Carnivore that night so why don't you try e-mailing Holiday Inn and see what they suggest.

Taiwan
8. Re: Nairobi help with taxi

Regarding to Patty's 5500 Ksh for a taxi per day, if under the same condition but change the normal taxi to a van, how much dose it cost?

Any information will be most appreciated.

Manchester
reviews: 8
9. Re: Nairobi help with taxi

I heard from Sheldrick Wildlife Trust that they opened up one day this year to find the Govt had placed an official on their gate to collect an entrance fee. I think it is comparative to the fees for the game parks.

Apparently this was done without warning and they are negotiating with the govt. More details can probably be found on the website www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org

Tip for the Elephant Orphanage. Sponsor one of their animals and apparently they let you visit in the afternoon rather with the great unwashed who can go for an hour only in the morning. It doesnt cost much and it is for a good cause.

Taiwan
10. Re: Nairobi help with taxi

Hi all

I have heard that Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage has been forced to add admission to US$40/person before. What's the latest news about the admission? Do they cancel the fees recently? Thank you for the information.