We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advisory - help wanted!

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
6 posts
Travel advisory - help wanted!

I'm a Malaysian and plan to visit Nairobi somewhere in late October. I need to know, can i apply the visa on arrival or do I have to apply before one week prior to my actual travel date?

Could you please advise me the cost of living on kenya (i.e cost an apple, a can of coke, a loaf of Bread or any vegetarian food cost), average taxi cost, internet charges and laundry cost.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Travel advisory - help wanted!

ifomor

The details below are for the Kenyan High commission in kuala Lumpur so they may be able to help you - as a UK passport holder we have been able to buy ours at the airport but it may be different for you

H.E MR. DAVID NJOKA, HIGH COMMISSIONER

(+60-12-2095307)

8 JALAN TAMAN U THANT

55000 KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

Telephone: 000-(603)21461163

Fax: 000-(603)21451087

Email:Kenya@po.jaring.my

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9.00A.M - 1.00P.M, 2.00P.M - 5.00P.M

Time Difference: 5 hours ahead Kenya time

regarding cost of money as we stay mainly in hotels never had the need to buy anything but compared to Britain it was reasonable.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Travel advisory - help wanted!

Apples - luxury item!! I can get for 25/- each in Kisumu. Nairobi might be more. Bananas are cheaper! I live up country and you'd pay about 20/- for a hand of small bananas. 5/- each for big ones. Pineapples maybe 70/-.

Coke is usually in bottles. You will pay for the bottle and then carry it for an exchange refill!! Cost around 30/- - more if you get it in a hotel. Ordinary bread 25/- or so. Large loaves are more.

Beans are a staple diet. It is very easy to be vegetarian. Ugali (maize) and greens is very basic. I am talking about local food, not tourist!!

Internet can be as little as -/50 per minute, but that also is very slow!! Expect around 1/- or 1/50 in a Nairobi Internet Cafe, but even 10/- in a hotel or at the Airport.

Taxi depends on where you are going! I had a taxi for the day for 5000/- with a 100km limit, but that was last year.

I hope this helps a little.

You'll have to look up the exchange rate yourself. All my prices are in Kenya shillings.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
3. Re: Travel advisory - help wanted!

Rules/regulations for Visas are different depending under which passport you're traveling. Check the official Kenyan website for details about citizens from Malaysia... whether you need prior arrival or can obtain once in-country

As to living/food costs, they will vary, but can be considered reasonable depending on what you're expecting. I can only speak compared to NYC and find overall prices inexpensive, though some can be comparable to prices here at home.

Are you going to be doing safari, living or hoping to work? If the latter two, you'd better determine beforehand, as getting working documents is difficult.

4. Re: Travel advisory - help wanted!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 10, 2009