We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nuneaton, United...
reviews: 3
what to do in Nairobi

Could anyone help, we (my husband and I) are staying at Serena Hotel in Nairobi for just 3 night on our way to Mombasa.

We need transfers to and from the airport any trusted and chatty local would be nice, then ideas on where to go maybe our trusted local would be our guide for a day and tell us where else to go on remaining days, did i see an elephant sanctuary somewhere that would be great

best wishes

lyn

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: what to do in Nairobi

Nairobi national park is worth a visit and also Daphne Sheldrick's elephant orphanage. Karen Blixen's House and Giraffe Manor also worth a visit. Get a trusted guide and driver if you don't know the city.

Nuneaton, United...
2. Re: what to do in Nairobi

Thank you Tembofan do you know any numbers of trusted guides

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
3. Re: what to do in Nairobi

Its a few years ago but we had a contact called Peter at Hertz. We had the use of a car and driver the whole time we were there. Its not adviseable to wander off on your own day or especially night. Try this e-mail address: info@hertz.co.ke - he's probably still there.

Norfolk
reviews: 8
4. Re: what to do in Nairobi

I agree with Templeman about the three trips he recommend. The elephant orphanage is only open between 11 and 12 (I think) so you would go on to Giraffe Park after this? We would probably use a taxi from the hotel to get there. Also try a meal at Carnivores near Wilson Airport, but you may have to book.

London
reviews: 12
5. Re: what to do in Nairobi

Lyn,

I am in the same boat, although not booked the hotel yet. I have two nights in Nairobi on the way to the coast, so basically one full day. I had in mind the Giraffe centre and the animal orphanage. What about Bomas as well, or is that doing too much in a day?

I was thikning of the Serena Hotel, but I am struggling to work out the geography. Should I be trying to find somewhere close to the airport? Or close to the places I want to visit?

I will be flying in late in the evening, so need to get from the airport to the hotel. Can I just pick a taxi up at the airport, or should I pre book?

And should I book a car and driver from the hotel for the following day?

Sarah

Stoke-on-Trent...
reviews: 2
6. Re: what to do in Nairobi

Hi Lyn

just got back from nairobi and a brief visit to Mombasa. Serena is agrat hotel and you'll have no problems at all.

you may have alread organised transfers with serena but if not there are taxis avaliable. After you have picked up you luggage and just about to go through the doors where evereyone will be waiting...just before on your right you can order a taxi there. its a consortium of a couple of resepctable taxi firms and will give you the price there and then... the cost to serena shoule be 1200ksh to 1500 ksh tops... if you miss this booking lfacility look for a Jatco taxi as these are reputable.

once at the serena you just have to look as if you need a taxi and they will waive one over for you.

try dinner at carnivore or the moonflower or lord errol (Lord errol is a bit more pricey but superb, moonflower has a jazz band on saturday evening - nice too, carnivore if you love meat!!!..its a great place)

the giraffe manor in morning and karen blixen musem and suedo house coffee gardens for lunch - (on sunday afternoon there is a jazz band on outside..very nice)

safari walk is nice too...for a couple of hours

there is alot in nairobi...people often miss it...but i love it there

have a great time!

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 10
7. Re: what to do in Nairobi

LynMidlandsUK,

If you are looking for a trusty tour guide and/or cabbie, I ran into one that looked after me extremely well. He is good to negotiate with prices a bit too if you use him lots. I did. He shuttled me around all Nairobi for 2 days and took me to an authentic Kenyan restaurant--awesome food.

He is a very nice man--ex military, ex security. He is a big fella, but is like a big teddy bear. His English is quite good too.

His name is Daniel and the best way to reach him is via email before you go. and give him your arrival times and he will be sure to meet you at the airport.

Daniel:

xpoltours@yahoo.com

Just tell him that Georgina from Canada sent you.

Cheers,

Georgina

Nuneaton, United...
8. Re: what to do in Nairobi

Finch-Hatton

Thanks for the ideas on where to eat Carnivore sounds great for my husband (he's a big meat eater) and i looked up Lord Errol that looks very nice for a special night will be trying both of them

Lyn

Nuneaton, United...
9. Re: what to do in Nairobi

Georgina

Thank you Georgina I will be sure to email Daniel about our trip.

Lyn

10. Re: what to do in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, September 09, 2009