We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Nairobi Worth It?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carmel Valley...
reviews: 3
Is Nairobi Worth It?

I was starting to do some initial research on Nairobi, and it seemed to me that Nairobi is not really an enjoyable city in itself, but more of a place to spend a night while passing through. I know that Kenya has a great reputation when it comes to safaris, but if someone weighed the safari equal with the city, would other East African countries seem more desireable?

Also, how great is the poverty or general development of Nairobi compared to other East African capitals and large cities? I do not mean this as a detraction, but as I am also planning to perfom medical aid while there, would Nairobi seem the worthwhile place?

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Is Nairobi Worth It?

Hi, i can only offer a bit of advice from my own experience,

from a purely touristic point of view i dont think Nairobi is worth the hassle especially when Mombasa is perfectly fine to visit. though you do have other ideas i read from your planned trip.

While i have been to Naiobi twice and it is a very nice and enjoyable place if you dont have a local to help you around the city and safety aspect it probably isnt worth the hassle of a visit.

I am sure though people here who know Nairobi better will offer more sound advice.

england
reviews: 1
2. Re: Is Nairobi Worth It?

Personally, Nairobi is great for a day and a night, but not much more unless you are particularly interestyed in music and markets. Agreed that Mombasa is more laid back.

Basel in Switzerland
3. Re: Is Nairobi Worth It?

Hi Jeb 102!

Last December we stayed 2 weeks in Nairobi and it was great!

We did a lot of excursions around Nairobi area, it is totally different compared to Mombasa. I really enjoyed my stay there.

If you behave properly and commonsense, you shouldn't get in Nairobi in more trouble than in any other big city of the world. I mean don't wear a lot of jewellery, don't walk alone around the city at night, take a taxi at night to go out etc.

There a very poor areas in Nairobi, like Kabera slum and Mathare. Actually if you are planning to do medical aid, I'm sure you could find an organisation which help the people (especially the kids) in the slums.

For example:

http://kenya.amref.org/index.asp?PageID=12

Here you can find more infos about medical help in Nairobi.

I think Nairobi is worth the visit.

If you want to know more about trips etc. in and around Nairobi feel free to ask...;-)

Kwa heri

Mswisi

Llandeilo, United...
reviews: 29
4. Re: Is Nairobi Worth It?

If you are stopping in Nairobi you could enjoy a vist to the David Sheldrick Elephant orphanage - worth spending a day in Nairobi to visit - read more at:

www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/index.asp

HB

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
5. Re: Is Nairobi Worth It?

What sort of medical aid do you want to give? Are you planning to work with a particular registered group? The Kenyan regulations for practicing medicine are strict.

Yes, the medical needs in Nairobi are enormous, but it also the place which gets a lot of help. Other places away from the City might be more rewarding for you.

Stoke-on-Trent...
6. Re: Is Nairobi Worth It?

Yes i have to add that Nairobi is well worth it, there is lots to do and see, good retraunts, night clubs, good shopping. plenty of history around the area too. nice places to see, ngong hills, karen blixen museum, safari walk, giraffe centre, elephant orphange... its great and the people are great too. Its good to see things from a local perspective not just a tourist view. Nairobi is a capital city and you will see people going about their business day to day. alot of people just put nairobi down as a one night stop over but there is much to see and do there....and the weather is just right! not humid like mombasa..give it a chance, you wont regret it

Llandudno, United...
7. Re: Is Nairobi Worth It?

Nairobi is more of a base to explore kenya i.e. spend a night there before and after your safari... but no longer!! There is not really much to do there except for a visit to Giraffe Manor, elephant orphanage and safari walk, which does not take more than a day!

Stoke-on-Trent...
8. Re: Is Nairobi Worth It?

I have to disagree with anyone (nothing personal) who says nairobi isnt worth it............its a great place... an African capital city!!!...if you can't find loads to do.... you probably have never spent much time there i.e. always just passed through on a "tourist trail" and thought thats all there is....but there is so much!! history, night clubs, bars, shopping, wildlife, fine dinning, horse racing, golf (many PGA courses), musems, traditional african arts/crafts/markets ..loads and loads.

Nairobi
9. Re: Is Nairobi Worth It?

I may be biased being a Kenyan, but Nairobi does have a lot to offer. Depending on what you are looking for, Nairobi can do it for you. Night life is brilliant, Shopping, we have it all, from your high street type stores to your local open air markets. The Art scene is equally vibrant. Other contributors to this topic have given more details so I do not want to repeat them.

We do have our problems like any other city and that is where common sense has to prevail.

The link below has good pictures that show the city of Nairobi in all its glory.

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-51356.0.html

Welcome to Kenya and Nairobi

Mombasa, Kenya
10. Re: Is Nairobi Worth It?

Hi Jeb,

For the kind of mission to plan to undertake, Nairobi is ideal. Nairobi is the hub of East Africa and beyond and the HQ of many international organisations in Africa (read world).

Welcome to the city in the Sun!

SafarimanKenya