We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Kenya trip with 6 year old

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 308
Planning Kenya trip with 6 year old

We are starting to plan a trip to Kenya for 2008. It will be our 5th visit to Kenya, but the first with our son age 7. We've previously been all over, our plan so far is to fly into Nairobi and go on safari in Masai Mara before ending up on the coast.

We have a brother-in-law who lives at Watamu so the coast part of the trip is pretty much sorted.

So a number of questions come to mind:

Which airlines do people recommend? We can't fly direct from our local airport (Manchester, UK) so could fly via pretty much anywhere. Main considerations as always are space, seat pitch, service and entertainment (especially for our son) on a long haul flight.

Would people recommend flying to Masai Mara rather than driving?

Does anyone have any recommendations for child-friendly lodges/tented camps in Masai Mara?

Has anyone got any good realistically priced ground agents they might recommend to put together some of the logistics for us or even provide a driver?

How have other people got on with anti-malarials for children?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Liz Watson

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 18
1. Re: Planning Kenya trip with 6 year old

I'll assume you don't want the extravagance of 1st class KA! The best charter is First Choice - more comfortable and they have individual TVs in the seat in front of you so you don't have to strain your neck to see the screen. Also has games and kiddies stuff on it.

Check which lodges take younger children - some say 7 others 12 and some are OK whatever age. I would certainly fly as the long drives with small children can be hell! Voyager Mara used to have an Adventurers Club for kids which was fantastic - hopefully its still running.

Get in touch with Kuldips Touring Company. Long-established family company in Mombasa who were one of the early safari prioneers. They would put together a package to the Mara to your liking. Contact Ishpal the grandson for a quote ....... indiana@africaonline.co.ke

Mention Phil/TA and they might offer a discount!

Consult your GP about malaria medication. My kids have taken Lariam, Malarone, Pauludrine - there is a children's version of Malarone. Getting it down them was awful so I don't envy you!

Augsburg, Germany
reviews: 5
2. Re: Planning Kenya trip with 6 year old

Hi Liz,

Watamu - great, one of the most beautiful beaches in Kenya.

Well, only one word - flying to the Masai Mara, not driving. It is a long way and the roads are still badly damaged because of the heavy rains in the past.

Even with your son, i think that flying is the best way. You safe time for spending on Game Drives in the Mara.

As i remember, it is possible to go from the Mara to Malindi and this might be also interesting because you want to go to Watamu.

Accomodations. I think an accomodations with a pool and maybe a waterhole might be interesting for your son.

There i thought maybe the Mara Sarova or Keekorok might be interesting for you regarding to your child.

We always use Doc and his agency Kenyan Adventures, based in Diani. They have an UK contact. Maybe this will help you. The website is kenyanadventures.co.uk

Wish you good luck for your plannings

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: Planning Kenya trip with 6 year old

I also come from Manchester! I have used Kenya airways/KLM Manchester - Amsterdam - Nairobi. I gather Kenya Airways now has a London - Mombasa flight, but I don't know about Amsterdam- Mombasa.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 308
4. Re: Planning Kenya trip with 6 year old

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I hadn't realised First Choice fly direct from Manchester to Mombasa so this may be our best option.

I'm now wondering whether we should in fact go to Tsavo East for our safari to cut down on logistics, and I read Tembofan's recommendation on another thread for Voi Wildlife Lodge as a good place for kids.

We're restricted to school holidays so it's either May/June or August - pricewise, I guess May/June is better but do we risk missing out on animals and a higher risk of rain?

Augsburg, Germany
reviews: 5
5. Re: Planning Kenya trip with 6 year old

Jambo Liz,

for my opinion, i would take the Voi Safari and not the Voi Wildlife Lodge.

The view is fantastic, it has a swimming pool and some waterholes. You can go there through a underground way very near to the waterhole and watch the animals.

There are many hyraxes and some monkeys and this might be interesting for your son.

The rooms are simple, but the other points are always worth to visit this place.

Bye

Chrissy

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 18
6. Re: Planning Kenya trip with 6 year old

I would avoid May/June as its the long rains. Then the animals don't need to come to the lodge watering holes as its plentiful everywhere and the vegitation is dense. August is better or why not try for half term in February when its hot and sunny?

7. Re: Planning Kenya trip with 6 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 am, September 05, 2009