We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Kenya-Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lafayette, Indiana
6 days in Kenya-Nairobi

We have a trip planned to Kenya in which we are going for a Safari to Aberdare, Nakuru and Masa Mara. We then have 6 days more which I had thought we would spend in and out of Nairobi to get to know the place more. But with crime in Nairobi so bad, and I will have my 5 year old twins along, looking for some alternatives.

Like to spend time with local people. Not too touristy. Of course wildlife/nature is always great to see

We leave the US July 11th, so any input fast would be appreciated!

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 100
1. Re: 6 days in Kenya-Nairobi

Hi there. First of all I envy you! Kenya is a very child friendly place and I hope you all enjoy your trip. In and around nairobi there is the Nairobi National Park , the Giraffe Centre (out towards Langata), the Elephant Orphanage (www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org), the Karen Blixen Museum and Mamba Village crocodile farm - all of which are great for kids. The last four are all within a couple of kilometres from each other towards Karen/Langata. There's a really gorgeous place called Paradise Lost where you can bring a picnic or a barbeque and they have boat rides on a lake and camel rides for kids as well as lovely walks around the lake, through a small forest, caves, waterfall, etc - again another real favourite with my kids, it's about half and hour from town off the Kiambu Road. There are a couple of mall type places, probably the best one is the Village Market for the kids where there is a water park, bowling alley etc - all of which my kids love. A great place to go for brunch is the Java House at ABC Place which has a brilliant cimbing thing for kids where they will play happily for ages while you manager to enjoy some great food. In terms of day trips out of town I would head towards Naivasha and Hell's Gate national park, there is quite a lot to do and see around there, you could maybe even do an overnight there, I used to stay at a place called La Belle Inn which was always clean and comfortable alhtough it is a while since I've been there so maybe someone else can let you know if it's still worth a visit. You could also head south to Magadi which is an interesting drive but may not be so interesting for the kids.

I hope you have a great trip.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 100
2. Re: 6 days in Kenya-Nairobi

just realised I gave you the wrong address for Java House, there is one at ABC Place but the one with the kids climbing thing (it's kind of a large concrete shape that they can climb on and thru) is at Adams Arcade.

Diani, Kenya
3. Re: 6 days in Kenya-Nairobi

Hi

That is the best safari that you have choosed, you will have time to see so many areas along the central part of Kenya and also the tropical areas in kenya. YOu will be able to see Mt. Kenya also since this is a season for the migration, you will have great time in Maasai Mara. In Lake Nakuru you will have great time as weell you will see the endegured species of white Rhino and also the colourful Flamingos along Lake Nakuru.

We Did a safari with Dominion Holidays & safaris and they realy did a good job. info@dominionholidays-safaris.com.

The insecurity in Nairobi was so bad yes but the situation was resolved since I got a call from Nairobi and the area is ok.

What kind of local people would u like to stay with, you must organise with them so as to hook you up with people who are honnest.

Thanks and enjoy your holiday.

4. Re: 6 days in Kenya-Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 02, 2009