We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carnivore restaurant

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
U.K
10 posts
carnivore restaurant

We will be arriving from Malindi into Jomo Kenyatta at 3pm. We do not fly out to London until 11.30pm. If we want to go to Carnivore restaurant for dinner at 7pm can we get a reliable & safe taxi to take us there & back, how long is the ride & roughly how much should it be?

Thanks

Nairobi
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: carnivore restaurant

You are supposed to be at an international flight 3 hours before flight time ie 8.30 but because TIA lets say you get there 9.30-10. Eating at Carnivore- lets say 1 and half hours 7-8.30. this will give you an hour to get to the airport.

An hour sounds like a lot but on the Nairobi-Mombassa road heading to the airport an hour can equate to 5 km. Its a horrible road and all it takes is one accident to severly mess up your plans. I made it there from Lavington (far end of town) in 35 mins last week but coming back there was a crash and it took me 2hours.

It is very hard to judge traffic in Nairobi, personally I think you are taking a risk but at the same time, if every thing goes well, you will have no problem.

I would be tempted to head to the Panari Sky Center- not too far from Airport and go to the Brazilian restaurant (cant remember name). They have the same kind of choma ie carved infront of you-all you can eat- a green sign meens bring me more-red means you have been beat by the meat. The salad selection is the best in kenya. OK, so the atmosphere is not as good as Carnivore but the food is most defintely better.

Its your choice. Good luck!

U.K
10 posts
2. Re: carnivore restaurant

Thanks for the suggestion.

Not paticularly wedded to Carnivore but killing 81/2 hours at the airport with an 11 year old is not my idea of fun. Needed somewhere that is easy to get to - so Pamba grill sounds fine.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: carnivore restaurant

In the same place there is ice skating for your daughter (and you)

Enjoy

Sherman Oaks CA
Level Contributor
257 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: carnivore restaurant

I have not eaten in many restaurants in Nairobi, but have eaten at the Carnivore Restaurant.

I can't recommend it. It was so very tourist oriented, and the service was so slow that the members of our party who had to go to the airport were hysterical by the time the guides paid the bill and they could leave. In addition, the food was uniformly disappointing.

There are some very good Indian restaurants, I wish I knew the name of the one we went to.........

Northern California
Level Contributor
771 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: carnivore restaurant

Haandi = likely the Indian restaurant. No time to go there either.

I did an 8 hour layover in Jomo Kenyatta last August--ugh. No pleasant/comfortable place to sit. The ice rink is about a 20-30 minute drive from the airport. The only concern I might have is getting a taxi back to the airport and having to haul around your carry-on bag.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: carnivore restaurant

We were at the Carnivore Restaurant in July 2007. It was a disappointing experience. The restaurant's advertising is very misleading. For many years now, the Kenyan Government had banned using game for food and the restaurant's menu had changed to comply with the rule. Not that this is a bad thing, but the failure to disclose is. The restaurant now serves barbecued chicken, beef, and lamb. The only "wild" item on the menu is farmed ostrich. The service is slow, desserts mediocre, and price exhorbitant. Forget the hype....

San Diego
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: carnivore restaurant

We will have the same situation in Sept - arrive at Wilson 3PM our BA flight does not leave until 11PM. Has anyone been to the Nyama Choma Ranch restaurant at the Safari Park Hotel?

SD

Nairobi
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
8. Re: carnivore restaurant

Nyama Choma Ranch at Safari Park Hotel to be avoided. If you are catching a flight, it is too far away and the traffic on that side of town is worse. Furthermore, the food is awful and you are likely to be sick!

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
965 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: carnivore restaurant

Thanks for the advice, Mujuaji. We've got our 3rd visit to the Safari Park Hotel in a couple of weeks and have not yet had the time to try the Nyama Choma. We were going to give it a try this time after hearing some good reports - now I'm not so sure!! I'm surprised at what you say though, as the food in the hotel is generally pretty good.

San Diego
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: carnivore restaurant

Mujujai - so you must work for the Carnivore???