We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Ambassadeur bombing

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 14
Hotel Ambassadeur bombing

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,280313,00.html

I read a story this morning about a bomb going off at this hotel. Anyone staying there? Near there? What is the atmosphere downtown like at this time?

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: Hotel Ambassadeur bombing

I would be absolutly amazed if any one here is staying in the kiberas slums..... it isnt part of the tourist area..

Un fortunatly it is serious but at the moment not to Mombasa and safari holidaymakers....

If you are planning a safari go ahead..dont let this stop you....

Texas
reviews: 14
2. Re: Hotel Ambassadeur bombing

We don't have immediate plans to go to Kenya. I lived there for two years (1981-1983). This bombing is reminisent of the coup attempt while I was there in August of '82 or the embassy bombings in '98. Unfortunately it may be another reason my wife would find to hesitate ever going there. I would really like to show her this part of the world that so deeply effected me but she hasn't worked up the courage yet.

Bristol, United...
3. Re: Hotel Ambassadeur bombing

nationmedia.com/dailynation/…

The above link to the Daily Nation reports on the bombing or the one below to the Standard.

www.eastandard.net/hm_news/news.php…

Washington DC...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Hotel Ambassadeur bombing

I saw the report on BBC, this morning. I am sure this forum gets plenty of questions about safety, and too a point it must get annoying. My sympathies for people that were near/ at the bombing. When looking towards my vacation in two weeks, I am getting nervous. The only news I hear coming out of the city is pretty violent. Of course, coming from Washington DC, I always get greeted with some comment on the high murder rate-- so I am the first to understand that news does not reflect the experience of the entire city.

I am planning on coming to Nairobi to visit family that works for an embassy. We are going on Safari for three days, but will spend three days in the city. Will we be fine if we stick to the compounds? I would love to actually see the city as well, are there certain areas that are better to visit? I am sure my family members will know, but I am just a little nervous and want to feel assured, I guess.

Nairobi
reviews: 3
5. Re: Hotel Ambassadeur bombing

Please, Please, Please

Dont worry! OK there was a small device that went off in a very busy area but its not as if everything over here has gone mental.

Nairobi is a big African city and has its fair share of poverty and hence crime but if you are carefull and have common sense it is a city that you can enjoy.

The down town area, to be honest, is not so great. Its busy and noisy and smelly but does have some good bars and place to eat.

The Village Market in Gigiri (taxi about 1000 bob) is a good place to shop and relax, it has a good food court, cinema, putting course and a small water park.

The Westlands area is good for places to drink and eat and is safe.

Definitly try to get to the Animal orphange on Langata road, Elephant sanctuary just off Langata road and the Giraffe santuary in Karen. All are very interesting.

Relax and enjoy.

You will have a good time.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
6. Re: Hotel Ambassadeur bombing

Please folks, the Hotel was not bombed!!

A device went off in the street just outside a cafe. The headline in today's Daily Nation says "Hawker killed and 39 injured at busy city bus stop". It happened in the rush hour. You can read more in today's Daily Nation www.nationmedia.com

The bus stop is near to the Ambassadeur Hotel, but the Hotel itself does not seem to have been the target.

Yesterday's headline was about a wall collapsing in a slum and killing 13 people.

Nevertheless, don't let this stop you coming to Kenya!

Washington DC...
reviews: 12
7. Re: Hotel Ambassadeur bombing

Thanks for the advice! I completely understand that things can be blown out of proportion. As I said above, wherever I go I get questioned on the murder rate in DC and if I am scared to live in such a dangerous city....and of course DC is not a scary place to live at all!

Thanks for the tips on places to go. I am looking forward to visit Nairobi.

8. Re: Hotel Ambassadeur bombing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, September 03, 2009