We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone calls

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Steamboat Springs...
phone calls

We are leaving for kenya and Tanzania. What is the best way to call the United States.

Nairobi

Samburu, Kenya

Masai mara

Serena Ngorangororo Lodge, Tanzania

Serena Serengeti Lodge, Tanzania

Thank you,

Arlene

London
1. Re: phone calls

Arlene,

Nice trip to Kenya/Tanzania,

I would like to know if your phones uses sim cards, if they do, well you can come with it and buy a celtel line in Nairobi, infact at the airport and you will make your phone calls to America whenever you want either in Tanzania or Kenya, alternatively if your phones dont accept sim, then you can buy or rent one.

dallas, Tx
2. Re: phone calls

you can get a safaricom sim card. I think Cingular, tmobile and verizon phones use a sim card.You also want to make sure you get the unlock code. Your handset will not work with a local sim card if the phone is not unlocked. You can get that code by calling your provider. I know tmobile will give it to you immediately but cingular might refuse to give it to you. Just let them know that you will be using a local cell phone provider in kenya.

you can also direct dial from kenya to the states but that will cost you an arm and a leg (3.99/min on t-mobile)

Nairobi
reviews: 3
3. Re: phone calls

Hey,

If you buy a celtel sim and put the number 123 before your US number you get much cheaper calls (about 25 Ksh per min)

If you get a safari-com (think this may work better) put in the number 888 before the call.

With Both Sims you buy a scratch card to give you credit or get credit from the supermarkets- Nakumatt or Uchumi.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
4. Re: phone calls

Arlene - Kenyaliam's info is quite correct. There is a bit of competition between Safaricom and Celtel. The last time I checked, Safaricom was slightly cheaper. Use the Voice Over Internet service, which is 123 for Celtel and 888 for Safaricom and Telkom. If you can get to use a landline (Telkom) anywhere, that is definitely the cheapest. 15/- per minute. You need a calling card for that.

Both Celtel and Safaricom now operate throughout East Africa. A sim card is not expensive. You shouldn't pay more than 100/-. You can also get quite cheap phones here, with a line already in.

Scratch cards are available all over the place. A text message costs 5/- locally and 10/- overseas for 160 characters.

For coverage, have a look at the respective websites. You should find the charges there as well.

For phoning within East Africa, there are so many tariffs your head can spin!! The most straightforward is Celtel Jamii which is a flat rate of 16/- per minute to all Networks including Telkom.

I hope this helps.

5. Re: phone calls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 02, 2009