We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Night time" in Nairobi?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California, USA
"Night time" in Nairobi?

I have been reading on posts and my travel guide book that Nairobi is not safe at night time. What time is night time? Does that mean right when the sun goes down, it's unsafe or more like late night? Because here in San Francisco, CA, I'd consider night time unsafe around 11 pm. I am just wondering because I don't want to be confined to my hotel room right when the sun goes down. Is it really that bad to be back in my hotel around 10 at night?

thanks!

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 27
1. Re: "Night time" in Nairobi?

hi,

im an english guy and i was in nairobi for about 5 nights in 2006. now i would summise night time is when its dark, around 7pm when i was there. now i did not have any problems moving around nairobi when it was dark but i was aware that its not really the best place for a white english guy to be wandering around but just like anywhere else there are places you will ok and other places where your taking a bit of a risk..

it is mostly fine if your sensible just like many other places in my opinion.

London, United...
reviews: 13
2. Re: "Night time" in Nairobi?

Depends where you are going - Dont go to River Rooad at night. At night take a taxi to wherever you're going and back home of course. No it's not that bad just like any big town around the world,good and bad places & people in all of them.

Go and enjoy a wonderful experience in Kenya

California, USA
3. Re: "Night time" in Nairobi?

I have read pretty much all the safety posts on here but am still just really worried. I will be alone and I am a young female. Also, I just don't want to be stuck in my hotel room all night. I guess I will just be reading a lot until day light, when it is safe to go outside. I am just starting to get paranoid I guess. Thanks for your advice

Calgary, Canada
4. Re: "Night time" in Nairobi?

hi crackle,

You don't need to hang out in your room in the evening times while in Nairobi......I didn't. I got to know a good cabbie that looked after me and took me to some awesome places that the "typical tourist" doesn't get to see or experience. If interested in his contact info drop me a note: georgiegal1@hotmail.com

Cheers,

Georgina

dallas, Tx
5. Re: "Night time" in Nairobi?

don't get too paranoid. like most people said, you may want to take a taxi at night. It's very inexpensive esp if you are travelling within downtown nairobi. You shouldn't pay more than ksh. 300 for a cab within the city. Also depending on where you are staying, there are places that you could walk to for dinner etc. I was born and raised there so I can give you a few pointers....

Nairobi
reviews: 3
6. Re: "Night time" in Nairobi?

Hey crackle,

Dont worry! It gets dark around 7 here year round. Nairobi is a big city and like any bog city you have to have your witts about you (I stayed in San Fran' for 4 months).

Nairobi isn't really a 'walk around' city, especially for a lady. There are many bars and restaurants that you can enjoy.

The Village Market is a very safe place that you can enjoy at night, its a bit out of town by the US embassy. It has a food court and cinema and places to drink.

For bars, Gipsies in Westlands is a favourite haunt of foreigners and ex-pats (might see you there- be sure to say hello), Pavement across the road is decent, Thurs is salsa night and is quite good fun. Any bar in a decent hotel are usually good but a little more expensive. Intercontinental, Serena, Norfolk, New Stanley etc are good.

For a wicked show and food you cant beat the Safari-Park hotel on Thika Rd. A nightmare to get to but well worth the bother.

Just find yourself a decent taxi-driver and you will be fine. Your hotel can get you one but always haggle and be quite rude- if he says 2000 Ksh tell him 500 and meet somewhere in between. They will always charge you Mizungu (white-man) prices if you are foreign.

Hope this helps x

7. Re: "Night time" in Nairobi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, August 29, 2009