We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California, USA
Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there are any Christian Churches I can go to on Sunday mornings. Anyone know of any? My travel guide book points out some churches out but I'd like to hear testimonials.

Thanks!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
1. Re: Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

There are VERY MANY!!! Some are packed out and you need to get there early. Others have two or more services in the morning.

What sort of Church do you like?

English, I assume? (Some sermons are interpreted Kiswahili/English)

Do you like a large congregation or a relatively small one? Noisy or quiet? You are spoilt for choice!!

Where are you staying? You'll probably need one fairly near your place of stay.

You'll certainly be blessed, testimonials can be many from residents - not sure what visitors will say.

Ann

kenya
reviews: 16
2. Re: Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

Hi

I woudl liek to welcome you to our church, we have 3 services duped YES -

Y- Youth service7-8.30am

E - english service(english language only) 8.30-10.30

S - Swahile( swahili language only) 11.30-1pm

But it all depends on where you are residing in Nairobi and if pentecostal or catholic

We are in Buruburu Area , Junction of Rabai road and Mumias South road just at the round about you will see a big church

The Kenya Assembleis of God Buruburu Church.

You are very welcome if you want more advice feel free to contact me:

claudiak@consultant.com

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
3. Re: Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

Greetings Wambui! Thanks for the welcome to Cracklejacc. I hope you remember IcFEM Mission in Kimilili. (www.icfem-mission.org)

Cracklejacc - Buruburu KAG Church has a heart for rural Mission. Members have travelled all the way to Western Kenya to visit us and to give us much encouragement.

As Wambui says, it does depend on the type of service you want. Anglican, Friends, Pentecostal, Baptist, Roman Catholic... and where you are staying.

Ann

California, USA
4. Re: Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

Thank you so much for the kind comments! I am looking forward to what Kenya has to offer me, for it is in God's will that I am going to volunteer there.

I am thinking of staying either at Kenya Comfort Hotel on the corner of Muindi Mbingu/Monrovia sts or Oakwood Hotel on Kimathi St.

I am looking for an English speaking church for a service with people in my age group (I am 23). The church I go to now is a non-denominational Christian church. Not catholic, no baptist, not pentacostal. So, I am not sure how to answer the"what type of church" question.I just want to worship our Lord! =)

It is so nice to hear that I have many choices! I was almost not going to write this post because I wasn't sure how people would respond to it. Im glad I did.

~Jaclyn

London, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

Cant remember the name but there's an excellent church in Uhuru Park or nrather at the side of it

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
6. Re: Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

When are you coming? I can see what I can find out for you. Whatever, you are spoilt for choice. Kenya is a very Christian country in many ways and there are so many services on Sunday. English is not a problem, neither is your age!! Education here is in English, so many young people like to worship in English. We also have some excellent Christian radio stations. If you were near Eldoret, I'd recommend Fish FM, which has a lot of English. In Nairobi, I know of Hope FM and there are others. If you don't want to carry an FM radio, you can buy one here for about 700/- (just over $10).

I do know of All Saints Cathedral, by Uhuru Park. Big chaurches include Nairobi Pentecostal Church on Valley Road and Nairobi Baptist on Ngong Road. I once went to a wedding of one of my students at Dove Christian Fellowship. You already have the invitation to Buruburu KAG (Kenya Assemblies of God)

I am sure you'll find the right place.

Ann

London, United...
reviews: 13
7. Re: Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

thank you ann - it was the All Saints Church -Be aware it was very crowded and the service took at least 2 hours

Nairobi
8. Re: Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

Hi. I have just bumped into this dialogue while surfing the net and thought I should chip in.

If you will be staying in town, which from your preferred hotels seems like the case, I will recommend to you Nairobi Chapel - Mavuno Down Town (MDT) Church. This church is part of the Nairobi Chapel Group of churches (its youngest church plant) that are arguably the fastest growing in Nairobi. MDT meets in town at the Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC),one of the landmarks of Nairobi you cannot miss. The service takes place at the Tintin Restaurant which is at the basement of the building and is accessed from the back gate of the building which is along Harambee Avenue directly opposite the Police Headquarters building and the Treasury/Ministry of Finance and Planning building.

MDT is a young adult/young professional church where the average age group of the members is 25. There is a strong focus on music and the arts as well as an informal and highly interactive service format, conducive for the young adult , a neglected age group in a lot of the key ,mainstream churches. Use of multi-media is also predominant in the service.

A major feature is the issues the church addresses. With a focus on Urban Ministry, social justice is core on the churches agenda and hence politics, investment, relationships, networks, missions etc are some of the topics adressed from the pulpit and from the strong ,small groups that meet in homes.The service is from 10a.m. every Sunday and takes exactly one and a half hours, ending at 11:30a.m. Young adults don't do long hours!

MDT celebrates its first anniversary on Sunday June 3rd 2007. You probably don't want to miss this celebration service if you will be around.

Omore

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
9. Re: Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

Jaclyn

This sounds as if it may be your answer! Thanks Omore.

When I am in Nairobi (very rare), I go to Church with my hosts. This means that, over the years, I have been to Services at all of the Churches mentioned (including Nairobi Chapel, but not this new one!), except Buruburu KAG. The latter has sent a group up to Kimilili to visit us, so that is a good contact as well.

I trust that you will be blessed and also that you will meet some real Kenyans, not just those on the Tourist trail!!

Ann

California, USA
10. Re: Any Christian Churches in Nairobi?

Wow! Thank you guys soo much for all your advice!

I think I have found my answer... thank you omore! I am really looking forward to it!