We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Hotel Prices

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 12
Nairobi Hotel Prices

I'm planning a trip to Kenya later this year and am finding it really hard to get my head round the hotel prices in Nairobi. Whichever website I go to the rates are quoted in US dollars and are basically the same as I would expect to pay in the US or Europe i.e. $200+ for a four star hotel. If everyone is paying these rates these hotels must be the most profitable in the world - (Kenyan costs meets Western Revenues...). Can someone tell me how to get round these rates and get a deal? Or is it just a supply/demand thing? I'm guessing there's a secret there somewhere, if not I'm giving up the day job and getting into the african hotel business!

kenya
reviews: 14
1. Re: Nairobi Hotel Prices

Hallo Chalbino

Yes Hotels in Nairobi are basically high especailly for the 5 stars, but you have a choice of other smaller hotels for less the amount and still be comfortable. The secret is if you can use a tour operator to assit you, some have lower rates or you send am email to mykenyatravel-at-gmail.com they should be able to send you a list of hotels and prices used on the past confernece World Social forum in NAirobi. then you can call the hotel you find cheaper.

Regards

Wambui

London, United...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Nairobi Hotel Prices

There's always the old fashioned method. Point out that there are other Hotels charging less what can you do for me etc (Barter) - there's rarely a set price for anything in Kenya and of course you can go to hotels charging a lot less and giving almost a good service as the big hotels

Examples

1) Diplomat Hotel - 020 245050 or 246114 Fax 220475

2) Meridian Court Hotel 020 313283 or 313991 Fax 333658

3) Oakwood Hotel 020 220592 Fax 332170

or www.madahotels.com

Finally if these do not meet your requirements either buy yourself The Rough Guide To Kenya or join them online and get the appropriate Information needed that way.

P.S Oakwood is my favourite

nairobi
3. Re: Nairobi Hotel Prices

Hi I know exactly what you mean... the real problem is, however, the fact that when you search on the net, you get all the TOP TOP hotels... There are many hotels here that I can't even FIND on the net. My problem is a little bit similar, but more urgent... I want to find a cheap COMFORTABLE place (where i wont go home and find baby cockroaches hatching out from my suitcase) for me and my boyfriend to share a night THIS FRIDAY - I'm leaving Kenya soon after having stayed here for 4 years - but everything is SO expensive...

Try getting a contact in Kenya who can physically get to SEE the hotels - sometimes, photographs can be a lie and a half :-)

Also, when you post another message - be more specific on what exactly you're looking for - comfort? luxury? basic needs? friendliness?

anyway, good luck - i'll let you know where I ended up :-)

take care

London
4. Re: Nairobi Hotel Prices

Hi I've stayed at the Fairview hotel in Nairobi, cost around £90 for a double room for the night, it's virtually in the centre of town but set in nice gardens, you wouldn't think you were in the city.

I've also stayed 'budget budget 'at the Karibu, it's opposite the railway station a double room there cost £25 for the night, it was clean , tidy, tv in the room, clean towels bedding etc, was a little bit noisy due to it's location.

5. Re: Nairobi Hotel Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 01, 2009