We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

obtaining a visa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California, USA
obtaining a visa

Hello everyone!

I will be in Kenya for the whole month of July but am having problems with my passport. Therefore, I may have to wait to get my visa at the airport in Nairobi.

How long does the process take to obtain a visa at the airport? I've read anywhere from 5 minutes to one and a half hours.

Help!

Thanks you!

Cornwall
reviews: 3
1. Re: obtaining a visa

Hi we got ours at the airports have done both Mombasa and Nairobi and have waited around 1 3/4 hours at both. However have seen some people that have already got their visas and their wait was much the same.

Brussels, Belgium
2. Re: obtaining a visa

hi,

best thing to do is fill out the form on the aircraft and try and get out asap, a lot of peeps wait til they get to the q,so spend the time and do it on the aircraft.

agy

California, USA
3. Re: obtaining a visa

Thank you for your help guys! I want to hear as many examples as possible before I arrive

London, United...
reviews: 13
4. Re: obtaining a visa

I too had problems with my passport just b4 the 1st timeI went to Kenya. The Kenyan Embassy told me that as I had a British Passport it wouldn't be a problem getting a visa when you arrive. This was June 2004, since then I have done a further 4 trips and have only got the visa ahead of time once and that was because I was getting married . I am going again for my 2nd wedding anniversay next month (I hope) and will be geting the visa when I land at hopefully Nairobi but if i save a great deal of money I'll fly into Mombasa airport though I dislike it intensely.

London
5. Re: obtaining a visa

hi

I have done my visa once in Mombasa took over an hour, I've done it Nairobi several times and the longest I have waited is 25 mins.

It does depend on the time of your flights too I think, I have always arrived around 10 pm in the evening

If your flying in from California you might be as well searching onlinre for your local Kenyan Embassy and download the forms from there, fill it in before you arrive then as drakesdrum suggests try beat everyone else off the plane :-)

Calgary, Canada
6. Re: obtaining a visa

Hi Crackle,

I just came back from Kenya and Tanzania in March.

When I arrived at the airport in Nairobi at 6:30am, it was dead quiet there and it only took me about 10 minutes after I stepped off the plane and went up to the custom's desk.

Just be sure you have:

your documentation on any innocculations you've had,

correct amount of US Dollars to pay for your visa,

the customs declaration you would have filled out on the plane, and

your passport.

That should do you. I imagine, the time factor will be dependant upon the amount of people in line.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

Georgina

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
7. Re: obtaining a visa

I came last year with a girl from UK. We had to be quick to get over to the Domestic Terminal for the plane to Kisumu.

We got seats at the front of the plane and Charlotte was off very fast. She followed the signs to passport control and had her visa before I even reached passport control!! (I don't need a visa because I have a re-entry permit, but I am no longer young enough to move fast.)

You can download the visa form and have it filled in and your $50 ready. It is only slow if the queue is long due to a number of planes arriving at the same time. The Visa desk is on the right, but very clearly labelled. If you need a Health check, that desk is before the visa one. Customs is after you've collected your luggage.

You also need an entry form which is usually given to you on the plane.

Generally the advice seems to be to wait until you get to Nairobi.

I hope this helps.

8. Re: obtaining a visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 01, 2009