We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap, Safe Transportation from Nrb to Msa and return

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Cheap, Safe Transportation from Nrb to Msa and return

I will be visiting Nairobi for the whole month of June and will be visiting Mombasa for 2-3 weeks.

Can anyone tell me what the airfares are like? Are there many airlines to choose from and when would be the cheapest time to fly? I have tried to search on the internet but am seeing fares for US$337 or so... That is way too much for my budget.

Some friends here in Toronto have suggested that there is an excellent bus service doing the route, would it be safe for a single woman and how long would the journey take? I will be having 2 suitcases as well. How cheap is this mode of travel!! Is there a night bus available or would it be safter to take the day time bus?

I have read in the previous posts that there is a train service too!!! Is it safe and if I am the only person would I be safe in first class and should I eat the food there? And how much does it cost one way or return?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.....

London, United...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Cheap, Safe Transportation from Nrb to Msa and return

althougfh I use the bus service on a regular basis I wouldn't recommend it on your own ( I dont even like my Kenyan wife travelling on the coach but if you must Go during the day, do not accept food or drink from anyone even if it offends. catch the daybus . use only MASH, AKAMBA, SCANDINAVIAN EXPRESS or RWANDA Coaches the cost should be about Ksh1000(just under £20/$40). The train service is extremely unreliable it cancelled on us on New Years Eve and according to my wife (still inKenya) its still being unreliable. If you decide to use the Train -go 1st class but you will have to pay for both bunks to have the cabin to yourself cost for 1person Ksh3160. And finally if you wait till you get there you will be able to get flights For a lot less than £337.

Enjoy Kenya

Brussels, Belgium
2. Re: Cheap, Safe Transportation from Nrb to Msa and return

hi,

a new airline started last november called www.fly540.com form nbo to mba from $99. contact details are

HEAD OFFICE:

ABC PLACE WESTLANDS

Nairobi. Kenya

POSTAL ADDRESS:

P. O Box 10293 - 00100

NAIROBI. KENYA

Telephone:

Reservations:

254 733 540540

254 722 540540

General:

Tel: 254 20 4453252 or 3/4/5/6

Fax No. 254 20 4453257

www.fly540.com

E-MAIL: info@fly540.com

there is a few teething probs with part of the site so send a mail initially,started up by a friend of a friend.

good luck.

agy

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: Cheap, Safe Transportation from Nrb to Msa and return

There was a photo in the Daily Nation yesterday or the day before of a LONG traffic jam on the Mombasa road as vehicles tried to negotiate a very muddy diversion. There is only one road, so you've no alternative route.

I do recommend that you fly. There have been a number of special offers in the newspaper (Daily Nation) recently, but not in today's - I've just looked quickly.

I think you'd do best to use a local travel agent. I have just had a lot of help in a similar situation from Alex Ogutu at Trinity Travel. I spent ages searching websites and then tried Alex. He got me the cheapest!

Trinity Travel & Tours Ltd

P.O.Box 7314 00300

Argwings Kodhek Grove,Hurlingham,

Nairobi ,Kenya

Tel: +254 20 2731860/2734883

Fax:+254 20 2734883

Email: trinity@wananchi.com

If you have a lot of luggage, check the luggage allowance on the flight you want to use. If you are overweight, it can be cheaper to send one case by Securicor (or EMS, but I don't know their weight limit).

Hope this helps.

Ann

Toronto
4. Re: Cheap, Safe Transportation from Nrb to Msa and return

Thank you AngloAfroHubi&Wife, Agyhill and Asifiwe for your kind advice.

I will wait until I reach there and decide how to get to Mombasa. I wonder if I could look for ads for flights on the internet or Nation? Have tried internet but it only brought up $337 price.

If you have any further suggestions that would be great, I will be leaving in 2 weeks time.

Thank you once again,

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
5. Re: Cheap, Safe Transportation from Nrb to Msa and return

Where have you looked on the Internet? Have you followed the links on the Trip Advisor pages? Maybe it is on the Mombasa Forum page.

I followed one for Air Kenya and their price is $134 (including taxes). That goes from Wilson Airport, which is nearer to town than JKIA, so the taxi is cheaper!

The photos of a muddy traffic jam on the Mombasa rod in the Nation this weekend makes me encourage you to fly, unless you like traffic jams!!

London, United...
reviews: 13
6. Re: Cheap, Safe Transportation from Nrb to Msa and return

I have to agree with Asifwe if you can afford it fly. Flying into Wilson airport is a good idea. As we live in South C in Nairobi when I'm there we see the flights come and go and they all look pretty safe to me. Amendment to my previous statement - take Akamba out of the equation as my wife has just said she's never using them again - If she's dropping them they have definately got problems somewhere as she is one of the more loyal people when it comes to transport use!

7. Re: Cheap, Safe Transportation from Nrb to Msa and return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 27, 2009