We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 1
Safety in Nairobi

I am spending this summer at school in Nairobi and have a few questions about the current situation.

First, I am staying at the Bid Apts. - what is the security sitation there? the latest U.S. State Dept. advisory mentioned home invasions, etc.

Second, I believe the Bid Apts. are in the Westlands - is this a safe area?

Lastly, I am a runner and am interested in finding a good, safe place to run. I am also a single female, so am cautious about where I run here in the U.S. Is the Uhuru Park safe? Would I be okay running alone or would you recommend a group?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kampala
1. Re: Safety in Nairobi

westlands is a bit safer but avoid walking/running alone get a partner or run in a group in the late evening DO NOT TRY UHURU PARK or ABORETUM its risky. runnign from weslands roundabout to museam hill and back.

Texas
reviews: 14
2. Re: Safety in Nairobi

Westlands is a neighborhood in a big, urban city that contains single-family homes and shops. It is not the most exclusive Nairobi neighborhood, but it would be considered a nice place by African standards of wealth. The streets are narrow and often blind for drivers who would not be used to a runner.

There are few violent crimes against women but because the role of women is limited, this could be because it would be counter-culture to do much of anything alone. Most crimes are home burglaries, as you mentioned, because of the disparity between wealth and poverty.

Running, as exercise, is odd to Kenyans (even though some of the best long-distance runners come from Kenya.) A Kenyan runs as a method of trasportation--children especially are sent on long running errands in the country. In the city, many people walk along the major thoroughfares because they cannot afford other means of transportation.

The Arboretum is a very dense park of trees and plants and not often visited, but would be very limited for running long distances. Because it is empty, it might spook you to run alone.

Uhuru park is wide open but very crowded. Running there you would get some stares and have to dodge people left and right.

Is the school you are attending set on a campus? I have been to the University and a few of the Teachers Colleges. The students at these schools change into athletic clothing to play football (men) and field hockey (women) in the afternoon. If you are interested in running, I would suggest starting from your school, enlisting some of the women who would like to run with you and run around the campus.

Enjoy Kenya, a place that will change you forever!

London, United...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Safety in Nairobi

Hi,

I would say Bid apts is located in a safe neighbourhood. But its is a long way from Uhuru Park - Which is a NO GO area for a single woman, and Aboretum is in the middle of nowhere.

In westlands there is an Oshwal. Complex, opposite Nakumatt UKAY. This is a confined compound with gates. It has a massive running/walking track and open fields. It is used in the evening for many people for recreational activities and is much safer than running on the streets.

One of my friends in Nairobi is a runner and uses this place 4-5 times a week for his jogg.

Hope this helps

4. Re: Safety in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, August 30, 2009