We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobbery???

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Italy
reviews: 25
Nairobbery???

I m just back from Nairobi where I spent 2 nights / 3 days for business.

I arrived from Dar Es Salaam by Kenya Airways afternoon flight.

1) AIRPORT. I received my luggage in 20 minutes and I went through the green channel of customs without being searched or questioned. I would say that 90% of passangers passed smoothly.

After customs, there was a quite consistent crowd of people waiting, no one came to me offering any service of any kind.

After few minutes I spotted a guy from my company who was waiting for me and we went to the parking, collected the car and drove away.

2) ROAD TO TOWN. We did the approx 15 kms drive to the Hotel Intercontinental windows open, no notice of any threat around us.

We queued for about 30 mins at the fist of two roundabouts: it was 5 pm and traffic at that time in that area is huge. A lot of hawkers were walking among the cars offering their merchandise so we closed the windows and the doors of the car and no one gave us problems even if I was on a luxury SUV and my skin is white!

We arrived at hotel in about 50 mins but, in other parts of the day, the journey would take 20 mins.

3) IN TOWN. I never walked alone, I always went around by car, any time of the day: I never had the sensation to be in a dangerous city. I always stayed in central areas around UHURU HWY and KENYATTA HWY. The feeling was like being in any other central African city. At night I went to 2 different restaurants and the car was parked in a secure multilevel parking.

The dangerous part is driving: the road rules are rarely respected so you must become used to the local style of driving.

4) WAY BACK TO AIRPORT. It was 9 PM and it took 20 mins to go to KENYATTA AIRPORT for BA flight to HEATHROW. Plenty of people walking along the road until we reached the road junction to Mombasa. NO feeling of any threat apart of the crazy way they drive.

May I ask to all those people who wrote so bad stories about safety in Nairobi....have I been lucky or have they been exaggerating their stories

?

Stoke-on-Trent...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Nairobbery???

Nairobi is a big city, like all big cities there are good areas and bad areas, good people and bad people. I have never been robbed .....but i know people who have....... but i can say that about alot of places around the world.

Cheltenham
reviews: 4
2. Re: Nairobbery???

I was mugged in down town Nairobi. I have been in and out of Nairobi and Kenya in general since I was a child and speak enough Swah to pass the time of day with people, not allot else. My incident happened in down town, morning, on the way to Nyayo house (visa place). I was by myself, white and walking down a side street. I think it’s safe to say the usual, travel as more than one person and avoid empty looking side alleyways. This can be said for any big city in the world. Suffice to say a friend of mine from Nairobi got his laptop robbed in London.

Yes Nairobi has the ability to be dangerous, by the sounds of it you where travelling with a sound head and that’s important. I wouldn’t start taking any less precaution or any more for that matter. Furthermore driving in Nairobi is fine, I have never found it particularly daunting.

england
reviews: 1
3. Re: Nairobbery???

Six years ago, we had the street kid threat of 'give me 500 bob or I throw this sh*t at your face', and I would not have gone out after dark then.

But, under Kibaki, the street kids have been removed from the central area and put on training programmes. As has been said, Nairobi is no different from any other city now.

Telford, Shropshire
reviews: 66
4. Re: Nairobbery???

Personally, I'd rather walk through Nairobi on my own than Leeds - and before anyone complains, I'm allowed to say that, I'm a Leeds Loiner, lived there all my life up to 5 years ago. It ain't a good place to live but, like Nairobi, it has some nice places - if you've got the money to live there....

London, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Nairobbery???

I'm with Finch-Hatton on this one

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
6. Re: Nairobbery???

I love Leeds, thats my football team, (I'll go and get my coat)

Nairobi has its problem areas as do most cities in the world, I feel safer in kenya than I do at home, just use your common sense

Telford, Shropshire
reviews: 66
7. Re: Nairobbery???

Smudger ....... I'll help you on with your coat....

(used to be a Leeds fan, as a kid back in the '70's, Billy Bremner was my hero....)

"Every day, we're all gonna say we love you Leeds, Leeds, Leeds.... memories

8. Re: Nairobbery???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 07, 2009